Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Excuse me for being dumb

As a newby, I'm having a little trouble with some of the acronyms. I know BOM, PIGS, MIL, and WIP, but I'm having trouble with some of the others: UFO, dd, for example, and I'm sure there are probably many others I haven't seen yet or that I'm leaving out. I would very much appreciate it if someone would give me a short tutorial on the acronyms commonly used on this site. Any you can think of would be great! Thanks.

UFO unfinished object. Projects you have started but have set aside for a while. I have tons
    DD Dear or Darling Daughter, DS dear son, DH dear Husband Sil, sister or son-in-law, DGD darling grand daughter, DGS dear grand son etc
    HST Half square triangles
    D9P Disappearing nine patch. A pattern many of them have made
    There are a billion more. There is a website somewhere that defines what all these are but I don't know where it is.
    LOL laugh out loud
    ROFL rolling on floor laughing
    LMAO Laughing my A-- off
    Hope this helps a little

for internet acronyms and general web slang, try http://www.internetslang.com/default.asp
    for quilting acronyms try http://quiltinggallery.com/2009/04/2...ters-acronyms/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanbro
    As a newby, I'm having a little trouble with some of the acronyms. I know BOM, PIGS, MIL, and WIP, but I'm having trouble with some of the others: UFO, dd, for example, and I'm sure there are probably many others I haven't seen yet or that I'm leaving out. I would very much appreciate it if someone would give me a short tutorial on the acronyms commonly used on this site. Any you can think of would be great! Thanks.
    No, you aren't dumb, I caught onto quite a few, as a newby, then had to ask about the rest as I went along.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    for internet acronyms and general web slang, try http://www.internetslang.com/default.asp
    for quilting acronyms try http://quiltinggallery.com/2009/04/2...ters-acronyms/
    Thanks to you who have responded so quickly. This website was extremely helpful. Who knew there was an actual acronym lingo specifically for quilting? But not surprising. Now I have printed them off. Thanks again.

Thses are confusing at times, and new ones crop up from time to time.
    I make up my own sometimes, and whether they are right or wrong, they work for me! Don't worry about being "dumb" on this forum. Sometimes I have a brain freeze and what I used to know, is no longer filed in the right place in my brain, and I can't pull it up to use it right now.
    So ask away with out reservations.
    IMHO - in my humble opinion

No, you are not dumb. I had never heard of any of the acronyms used here either!!!!

A couple of more:

LQS----local quilt store
    FMQ---free motion machine quilting, I think

There was one recently that I had to think about as I hadn't come across it before: kwim=know what I mean.

Another for your list, dtms=does this make sense

Not quilting but useful still.

And an FYI (for your information) no one here is dumb----we are just individually paced learners! :lol:

IMHO - In my humble opinion.
    YMMV - Your mileage may vary

Thanks everyone I was wondering about some of these my self.
    Those web Sites help allot.. :D

I have problems with SIL since you can only tell by the context if it is son or sister -in-law. Sometimes the 'D' in DH is 'darn'. LOL

SO= significant other
    SD=Step daughter. etc

Also, I was at a restaurant and saw a sign for 'beer of the month'! BOM!

Thanks for asking this question and all your answers. It helps me too! :D

So glad you asked your question and it wasn´t dumb.

BTW by the way
    (g) grin

I have had to learn as I have gone along and I have also just picked up on the Mimi in front of so many of your names its a name for the grandkids to call you, or am I totally off track?

Elle

Blog Entries
    As a teacher, I wish people would just type the words out. :roll: My students get big ole red circles on their short cuts--and I especially hate the lower case I.

Banned
    I made this one up years ago. Do you know what it means? :lol:

LMAOSHIPMP

Lots of times i can't rember them...or someone says ds and she together...i confuse easy. if it confuses ask...most of us don't mind :D

Quote Originally Posted by batnbum
    As a teacher, I wish people would just type the words out. My students get big ole red circles on their short cuts--and I especially hate the lower case I.
    Writing, like cooking, quilting and many other skills, should really be learned the long way before you start using all the short-cuts. Fifth graders are still working on the learning part. Most of us are beyond that, for whatever reason! 8)

I agree, Karla! I think it comes from the non-stop texting that kids are doing? I'm just finishing a memory quilt for someone; one of the blocks has a scripture on it and it says ".... plans 4 u..." !!! RU kidding me??!! Oh well, guess I am showing my age.

When I proctor SAT's, the hardest part for many kids is one line that they MUST write in cursive. They have to copy a sentance - one sentance - that says they are the person whose name is on the test. It takes up to 15 minutes for them to write one line! They just aren't in the habit of doing it. For some kids, it is a matter of them printing, then connecting the letters, as they literally cannot write in cursive. However, their texting speed is amazing.

As for BOM - I'm much more interested in a block of the month than a beer of the month. Bleck! And the DH, yeah, well... Darn would be nice...

No, but I am intrigued!

Thanks for all your answers. To the teacher above, I too worry about these shortcuts, especially with Twitter being so popular. It certainly doesn't do much to teach our young people to spell, does it?

I have a guess but the "I" is throwing it off. (I know the first four.)

laughing my $## off so hard I'm peein my pants!

Blog Entries
    One I had a hard time figuring out was TY thank you. I just didn't see what it meant for awhile!
    And TTYL talk to you later was hard too!

It took me awhile to decipher a lot of these and I asked a time or two!
    I still am not comfortable with some of them. I would rather say my husband instead of my DH and sometimes I do one and some times I use the other. I also prefer gkids to DGKs (dear grandkids) or grands isn't too bad.

Oh, Lisa, good one!

I know most times i say David instead of S/O cuz he aint my DH yet LOL

LMAOSHIPMP= laughing my a55 off so hard i pee'd my pants.

craft= cant remember a freak'n thing
    s.e.x. (must use those dots or it doesnt mean the same thing)=
    stash enhancement expedtion/experience
    shopping for fabric of course.

group s.e.x. is even more fun. take your quilting buddys with you, have a s.e.x. party.

the list is probably endless as new ones keep showing up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast