Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric in Amish Country? >

Fabric in Amish Country?

Fabric in Amish Country?

Old 09-27-2014, 06:04 AM

Default Fabric in Amish Country?

After reading a recent post and responses regarding sewing machine brands and corporate ownership , I began thinking about fabrics that are sold in "Amish" and country stores. Where does this fabric come from? Who manufactures the fabric? Is there a distributor or do these shops deal directly with the source? What makes these fabrics special? Is it the ambience of the location or something else?
Old 09-27-2014, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

One of the Amish shops we visited the other day... the shop owner was with the fabric salesperson... he was offering the same fabrics he offers to other LQSs. The draw is that the prices are lower. IMHO
Old 09-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I don't think they make their own fabric. What you probably see in your LQS is only a fraction of the fabrics that are produced. They probably purchase fabrics from the manufacturers we all know but just more of what is their preference.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:58 AM

I cant say the prices are lower in the "Amish" quilt stores here but their selection is greater.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:42 PM

I find the same fabrics from my LQS, that sell for around 9-13$ per yard here, in the Lancaster area for closer to 6-10$. I wonder if it has anything to do with them selling mass amounts since they're a tourist destination. And I agree with bakermom about the larger selection. The prices, the selection and the change of scenery make it well worth the trip for me.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:07 PM

We have a couple of stores that are run by Mennonites nearby (in Penn Yan). The fabrics they sell are the same as what you would find in LQS, but the stores are very basic. Functional, no decorating, not cozy. What I say to friends is that regardless of how it is decorated, it's the same fabric when I get home. They do not expand until they can afford it. So between the more basic buildings and not carrying huge mortgages or loans, they are saving money - which they pass along. Combined with their belief that the businesses are for a living, not for a huge profit, they are able to sell the same fabrics at a much lower cost.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:17 PM

I live close by "amish Country" in southern Ohio. They seem to carry the same fabric as other LQS and it is often $1-2/yd cheaper. there are 5 stores with in 15 min of each other and they all carry different fabric as do many LQS. These Amish stores also carry a lot of "utilitarian" fabric such as oil cloth, flannel and Amish dress fabric. If it is a true "Amish" store they do not cater to the tourist so much.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:50 PM

I suspect they use the same mfg as many LQS. Quilters want quality fabric, period. At least I do. I pay between $9-$13 a yard, depending on the shop. AND I check out that sale wall too. I do a ton of research online, but prefer to shop local as I want a Brick & Mortar Store available at all times. I'd hate to lose them because I failed to support them.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:21 PM

I've watched a couple of documentaries (including a YouTube homemade documentary by a Mennonite resident of a nearby Amish community) and they all seemed to say that the Amish almost always use mass produced quilt fabrics. The difference is based on whether the woman is making it for her family or for trade. If it's for her family, in many Amish communities, she will buy fabric to make her dresses & will use the remnants to sew quilts. If it's for trade, she will often buy brighter colored fabrics just for quilting as they know that's what most tourists desire to purchase.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I live close by "amish Country" in southern Ohio. They seem to carry the same fabric as other LQS and it is often $1-2/yd cheaper. there are 5 stores with in 15 min of each other and they all carry different fabric as do many LQS. These Amish stores also carry a lot of "utilitarian" fabric such as oil cloth, flannel and Amish dress fabric. If it is a true "Amish" store they do not cater to the tourist so much.
Very good point! There is a difference between a fabric store that caters to the Amish- carrying the fabric they use for their clothing etc. and a quilt store that happens to be in an Amish area.
there is one I go to where I don't buy fabric because it is all fabric for clothing but I do buy sewing "hardware" there like parts for suspenders for GKs and the plastic snaps I use for baby things. Can't even tell you the name of it but it is run by an Amish family-little kids helping out and all.