Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric choices - input needed!!

Blog Entries

Fabric choices - input needed!!

I am going to make quilts for our neighbors who are moving; we are very sad . I want to make the Disappearing Hourglass quilt (using Tartan's tutorial of course! ) for the husband and am hoping to pull from my stash. What do you think of these 3 batiks together? I currently have them laying on a natural muslin but thinking I should get more of an off white (less yellow) fabric for the background. Your input is very much appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Those will make a nice muted quilt. Definitely, though, the background needs to not be yellowish.
    Lori

trying to stay grateful

Power Poster
    Sorry - my first impression was drab and/or muddy.
    The side fabrics DO go together with the center piece, but I don't like the side fabrics with each other.

I think the first two on the left are okay just by themselves.
    And the middle one with the right one by themselves are tolerable.

The three of them together don't do much for me.

But it is YOUR quilt and YOUR neighbors. Maybe my monitor has drabbed the colors down a lot.

The two on the left both have the blue/brown in them. The fabric on the right has no blue or brown, but it really isn't strong enough either to be a contrast to the blues/browns. You might try auditioning other fabrics for the one on the right so you have a stronger light/medium/dark.
    Penny

I like the one on the left and the middle one. Not to sure about the one on the right. From my screen it looks like a brownish/dusty rose, and am not seeing it fitting with the other two. But my screen color may be off. It is really hard to loose good neighbors! Hope you get some great new ones.

Blog Entries
    I took the fabrics outside and photographed them in natural sunlight. I'm starting to rethink the one on the right also

I am going for muted. The neighbor is 82 yo retired minister and his wife's color palate (and the home decor) is pink, pink, pink, emerald green and more pink! In fact the realtor made her put away most of her pillows, throws, floral arangements and other decor as he felt the house wouldn't show well with the deluge of out dated colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 07-02-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I think pick different fabric and send me those. I like the right one the best but think they go well.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Even in the outside light the one on the right just doesn't fit (to my eye)--it is too reddish. To complement the other two seems like you need navy or chocolate brown.

Power Poster
    Or an intense flash of the blue?

My first impression was pretty fabrics but the scale of the prints is too similar.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast