Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric direction help

I am sooooooo perplexed. UGH! Okay, so all the fabric I purchase comes off the bolt selvage to selvage with that being width, and the fabric to fabric is length. Right?? Well in any event, my aunt gave me a bunch of fabric...... don't know how long she's had it, but it's done the opposite! So it's folded long ways instead of wide. UGH. I'm going to try to take a picture with my phone. It's hard to explain. But basically I've got a a REEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy yy long piece of fabric that isn't that wide.
    I know I'm not saying it right now. See, I've got myself all jumbled up. But I can't figure out how to fold and cut this monstrosity!

Okay so the fold is at the bottom (widest part of picture)
    Name:  Attachment-279803.jpe
Views: 68
Size:  69.4 KB

Can you just refold it selvage to selvage?

Okay so the way it is, it's 107". If I refold it selvage to selvage that'll double it! But the total selvage to selvage is 45. So is this basically 6 yards of fabric that she just folded weird??

I think that's exactly what it is - a really long piece of fabric!

I sometimes fold mine that way after I've prewashed it because it's easier and I know I have to iron it anyway, so I'll fold it properly after ironing. I only do that if it's a very long piece.

Blog Entries
    I think I might be confused, 107" would be 3 yards... I see, 107" folded over, so it would be 214" around 6 yards. I would refold selvedge to selvedge.

It's still folded in half at 107", so it's really 214".

lol. Thanks you guys. You really made it so much more simple than my mind would let me. lolol.

If it is older fabric it is probably 36" wide material has only be 42-44" for the last 10yr or so. The pattern is going directional so it is probably all the fabric from a bolt just use it as needed following the direction of the pattern for your needed pattern.

The selvage to selvage or width of fabric will be slightly stretchy, the grain with the length doesn't stretch. Older fabric was sometimes only 36" wide. If you need to wash it you might try cutting it into 3 yd lengths. It will wash and dry much easier.

Does it really matter?
    Fold it whatever way you feel is best for whatever you are doing with those cows!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast