Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Dyers: Best place to buy PFD fabric? >

Fabric Dyers: Best place to buy PFD fabric?

Fabric Dyers: Best place to buy PFD fabric?

Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 AM

I do what bjchad does. The procion dyes are easy to work with. I used plastic painters buckets to dye in. Porcion dyes don't need hot water. I did it twice, but did not enjoy it. It takes some practice to get the color you want, but if you want gradient colors of one color, it works well. Check out books for it on Amazon.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone.... I checked my LQS today for PFD fabric. They carried it, but it was $9.50 per yard (Hoffman brand). Needless to say, I didn't purchase any.

I really want to give dyeing a shot, but I don't want to spend a fortune, so I appreciate everyone's suggestions. It looks like Dharma is the best place pricewise, and they have some great dye colors as well! Wish me luck!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
I use bleached muslin from JAF all the time for dying. You should wash it first but half the time I don't and it works just fine. I use procion type fiber relative dyes with soda ash fixer.
Another question if you don't mind bjchad.....

Is the bleached muslin specifically PFD or just regular bleached muslin? I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge in this area with me
Old 03-31-2016, 12:13 PM

When I took a shibori dyeing class, one of the fabrics we used was a cotton lawn. There is some on sale now: https://www.fabric.com/buy/0363902/k...lawn-pfd-white. I liked the lighter fabric for shibori, because the stitching/gathering was easier. It was still heavy enough for quilting.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom View Post
Another question if you don't mind bjchad.....

Is the bleached muslin specifically PFD or just regular bleached muslin? I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge in this area with me
Just regular bleached muslin. I usually use one of the wider ones, 90 in at least. I feel them for weight as JAF has several weights and I prefer not to use the lighter weight ones.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:32 AM

I was doing some research on dying wool for a project I'm working on and found several who had used Kool-Aide or Wilton food coloring for dying. They used a hot water bath as well. Has anyone tried that?
Old 04-01-2016, 07:50 AM

Red face here is my go to place for all things dyeable

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I found PFD once at JoAnn's. Other than that one time I haven't seen it there (although I don't often look). Have you checked Dharma Trading Company online? They have lots of dying supplies and information. http://www.dharmatrading.com/
Every year I do a long weekend dye-fest. I do fabric, for myself, and all kinds of clothing, tees and hoodies for kids and grandkids. For all my supplies I go to Dharma Trading. They have everything and their prices are very reasonable. Especially check out the bamboo fiber socks....so soft and comfortable and great for wicking away moisture. Also get this book, Hand-dyed fabric made easy by Adriene Buffington. This is an old book but has my go to dye recipes in it. I do believe Dharma has it as well. Their white and natural muslin is so good and such sturdy fabric that I also use it for white and off white fabrics in my stash. Oh yes and it takes the dye beautifully.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:50 PM

Everything at Dharma is Ready to dye....and the supplies are low cost. I really like the procion dyes. They are pigment rich and are very permanent and non fading. I have Tees that I dye years ago and wore to rags and the colors stay bright. They have all kinds and sizes of rtd blanks from xxlarge to infant. The fabric is rtd and works as is or dyed in my stash. Check out the web site and do an order you will not be disappointed. The only thing I don't buy at Dharma is the salt. If this is your first dye project I really recommend the book on hand dyeing fabric. You will need the dye recipes and instructions. I dye in plastic zip lock bags and it really is mess free and easy. Once it is all in the bags all you have to do is wait 24 hours to rinse and wash. The hardest part is all the hand wringing of the larger garments.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:52 PM

Also they have a great selection of silk scarves and shawls...so pretty when dyed and make a great inexpensive gift.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:58 AM

Thanks for your input Kellen.... I took a class on Iquilt about hand dyeing and it was spectacular. I was really inspired and I think I will be hitting Dharma with an order soon!