Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sad - Time for a service and repair. >

Sad - Time for a service and repair.

Sad - Time for a service and repair.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:29 AM

Default Sad - Time for a service and repair.

I bought a used longarm three years ago with the computer. Had it shipped from Montana, arrived in perfect condition. It developed a few hiccpups but was still usable. Yesterday, finished the first pass on a quilt and the bobbin thread became entangled in the rotary hook which created a message "head stall". The closest repair shop is over 60 miles in another state. Time for a service and repair. Just didn't want to take it apart! Will miss Lucy for a few days!
Old 03-22-2016, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

That is the major problem when you buy from a private party. Hope that you are able to get her checked over and back in working condition.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Even though you bought from a private party the larger manufacturers may still give you phone support at no charge. Handiquilter and Innova will definitely help walk you through issues on the phone. Gammel may as well as A1, APQS, and Nolting. You have nothing to lose by trying to call them. They all have 800 numbers. Thread wrapped around the hook seems to me a pretty easy issue to fix with the help of a tech walking your through it on the phone. You may have to reset the timing which, while time consuming is relatively easy.

I don't know what would be involved in resetting your robotics. That too, may be easily resolved having someone walk you through it on the phone.

I would try that before taking the machine head off the to be serviced.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:40 AM

I had a problem with my Gammill where the machine was getting hung up in a certain spot every row. Gammill had me take a video of what it was doing with my phone and text it to them. They were able to diagnose from this video and sent me the correct part which was a relatively simple and inexpensive fix. I think I would start with a phone call to the manufacturer before starting to take the machine apart.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

This sounds like an excellent idea!
Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
I had a problem with my Gammill where the machine was getting hung up in a certain spot every row. Gammill had me take a video of what it was doing with my phone and text it to them. They were able to diagnose from this video and sent me the correct part which was a relatively simple and inexpensive fix. I think I would start with a phone call to the manufacturer before starting to take the machine apart.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:44 AM

Could you please let us know what you have decided to do with your machine? Wishing you the best in getting it fixed and running in tip top shape for you!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:06 AM

yes, I imagine taking Lucy down for a road trip is quite an endeavor... Hopefully you'll get her back up running in no time.

I will be in the market for a LA in the next year (after my room addition is completed to accommodate one) and service and support will be a key factor in choosing one... especially living on the coast of Maine.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

A few down days gives you time to play with other stuff. I have experienced similar things, just when you get going on a project, the mechanics fail. I should take up hand quilting!
peace
Old 03-24-2016, 04:52 AM

Can you call the corporate of this company..sometimes over the phone tech may be able to help. I've done that with my apps several times
Old 03-24-2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
Could you please let us know what you have decided to do with your machine? Wishing you the best in getting it fixed and running in tip top shape for you!
I decided to take it in. Lucy really needed to have cleaning and maintenance done. Eve though this shop is out of state, it is the same one where I first took classes. Enjoyed visiting with the owner and her husband is the tech so I feel like I am getting personal service!