Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric at our WalMart >

Fabric at our WalMart

Fabric at our WalMart

Old 09-05-2014, 04:07 AM

We have two Walmarts nearby and like others have said, the fabric departments are wildly different. One has a weird mix of fabrics and a reasonable notion wall. The other is much better...with a much larger fabric selection, including some good basic blenders that are good quality at a reasonable price. The latter one also usually has someone in hearing distance of the bell to come cut promptly. Even at the better one, there is no real seasonal rotation of fabrics. The Walmart competition here does not really cut into the LQS business as they are doing vastly different things.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:13 AM

Yes the fabric is going up at Wal Mart too. Some of the fabric is close to 9$ a yard.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:36 AM

We have only one Walmart and one LQS within 50 miles so I do buy fabric at our Walmart. When fabric at the quilt shop hits $12 a yard I won't be shopping there much. They do have a few sales of fabrics that were left over from last season. The fabrics in Walmart have risen in price too but are still about half the price of the LQS. They do have a lady in the fabric department who knows her stuff and watches for customers. Their fabric has been pretty good quality, but you do need to look it over. Sometimes find something worth buying in their mixed sale fabrics. They also have lots of batting and notions.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

There are a lot of excellent notions available at reasonable prices if one orders them. One can have them shipped to the nearest store and avoid shipping costs. The down side is that one has to plan ahead to get them!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Sometimes competition can be healthy. For the most part, it is doubtful that WalMart will carry the same high quality cotton a LQS will but it must be more and more difficult for a small shop to stay in business against any big box store. If given a choice and the LQS's prices are within reason, IMHO most quilters will recognize the importance of supporting the LQS and will continue to do so.
I try to support LQS wherever I travel and at my FL home but I must say if I'm making crafts I check out Walmart. I like having options since I now see $14/yd regularly at Joann's where I don't like shopping.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:01 AM

I've picked up some nice fabrics at WalMart but I've noticed that the prices are not that different from the less expensive line at JoAnn's. I would rather shop JoAnn's because I can get other things and ask questions. Still it's nice to have options. We have two LQS in town but I can't afford the fabrics. We also have Hobby Lobby and I've noticed recently the fabrics over there are getting better and they most always are 30% off. I do most of my shopping at garage sales, thrift stores and estate sales. Someone else spent the big bucks and I get to have their stuff for about $1 a yard. I currently am sitting on a find of about 100 yds. Most of it is big yardage so it's nice for backings and such. Love a deal
Old 09-05-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

If a store "always has (the same) fabrics at 30% off" - doesn't that say something about the "regular" price of those fabrics?

Example: If the store's "real price" for the fabric is actually $9.00 a yard, some customers might think that 30% off $12.86/yard is a much more attractive price than $9.00/yard.`
Old 09-05-2014, 06:15 AM

People will buy fabric where they can afford it and where it is convenient to get it. About the only fabric I get at Walmart is their flannel, I use it to make receiving blankets. I actually haven't purchased ANY fabric for almost a year. I shop my stash first, then maybe purchase what is needed for a specific quilt. Yes, I have a lot of fabric and no, it will never go to a yard sale for $1.00 per yard. I have granddaughters and friends who will get it first.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
If it's any consolation, at our walmart it is next to impossible to find someone to cut fabric. I have even asked at neighboring departments for them to call someone over, only to wait and give up after 10 minutes.
Same here...I usually don't go to Walmart for anything, but on two occasions I went for some ticking and after waiting for the designated cutter to come over from electronics, three people went over separately to ask for help, I just gave up, tossed the bolt back on the table and left, buying nothing in that store at all. Seems to me this is very bad business overall. Does Walmart know or care? Now I will order my stuff on line and pay postage rather than go to Walmart for anything at all. Really bad business to my mind.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 AM

I agree with you, Linnie! Where does someone get off, commenting on how much one spends in a shop! Do they know how much I can afford to spend?