Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric at our WalMart >

Fabric at our WalMart

Fabric at our WalMart

Old 09-05-2014, 08:02 AM

Ditto to all the comments I've read so far. Especially to any store owner who has the gall to tell a customer they didn't spend very much money. Really quite rude. And so off-putting she would never see me again in her store. As for WalMart and JA, recently I find most retailers are cutting down to the bare minimum on staff. As for quality, at JA I find the fabric becoming thinner and thinner, stiffer and stiffer. Unless you go to the higher-end fabrics it's pretty sad stuff. I heard the other day, on a radio financial news show, that teenagers would rather have the latest and greatest cell phone and accessories than new clothes and retailers were experiencing sales slumps as big ad 40-50% during the back-to-school sales season. Guess we better hold onto our hats as it's going to get a lot worse!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:24 AM

To me I look at quality and design. I have bought some fab at Walmart, LQS, and on line. If it's not what I want, then I don't buy. But sometimes, you just can't pass up $3/yd for fabric that is not thin, which I've purchased at Walmart. I didn't need it, but for that price and quality I had to get it. No matter what your passion is, if you're passionate about what you use you will get the materials from where ever if it meets your standards.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 AM

The Walmarts by me has a really good selection of children's fabrics. Although there is usually no one working in that department, I just go up to the service desk and ask for help. They usually send someone within a minute or two.
The LQS owner who made the statement about spending so little was just RUDE and I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut and may have just given her back everything I just bought.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
People will buy fabric where they can afford it and where it is convenient to get it. About the only fabric I get at Walmart is their flannel, I use it to make receiving blankets. I actually haven't purchased ANY fabric for almost a year. I shop my stash first, then maybe purchase what is needed for a specific quilt. Yes, I have a lot of fabric and no, it will never go to a yard sale for $1.00 per yard. I have granddaughters and friends who will get it first.
Walmart has discontinued carrying the heavier flannel. The only flannel they carry now is the cheesy thin junk that pills. The only thing it might be good for would be to use as the batting in a flannel quilt.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:01 AM

My Walmart has some very good and some not so good fabric. I have bought some lately that I really like but you have to shop very careful if you are new to fabric buying. Hancocks is very close to the one I shop at and they still do a good business. Hobby Lobby is not very far from them and they have a lot of fabric and do well also.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:18 AM
ro
Banned

i agree. we have a few walmart's near us on long island. the best one is middle country road, middle island. by far the best. the one closest to me in commack is horrible. and i surely wouldnt patronize a shop that tells me i didnt spend enough money. that's really rude and obnoxious.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 AM

The fabric department at my local walmart is very organized and staffed by great people. In fact, the department manager is a good friend and welcomes questions. More than once she has special ordered fabric for me. I believe that since the department managers have some choices in what they can order, the more knowledgeable the manager about fabrics, the more you will see better fabrics. When it comes to poor customer service you have to remember that even the best employees get breaks, so when nobody is around to cut your fabric, get out your cell phone and call walmart! The service desk doesn't like to hear that someone isn't doing their job. I have even had the store manager come out and cut my fabric!
Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I used to be near a Wal-Mart that had a great fabric dept., which they closed, unfortunately. I knew the manager of the fabric dept. and she told me that she ordered the same fabrics from the same sources at a LQS would, but because of volume, Wal-Mart got better pricing. Still, regardless of where I buy fabric, you can find good, bad and indifferent at Wal-Mart, JoAnn's or a LQS, you need to be observant; but still buy the best fabric you can afford. I am appalled at what Boston1954 said, if I were criticized for only spending $30, which was all I might have at any given time, I would be highly insulted and would reconsider whether I would go back there, as that was lousy customer service in my opinion.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Our Walmart is suppose to be getting rid of its cottons and will only handle fleece. Well let me tell you we don't use much fleece in southern Louisiana. How dumb is that?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Same situation here. I live 3 minutes from one Walmart where many of the customers are within walking distance. Another is about 10 minutes away and another is about 15 minutes away. They are all Super Walmarts. The employees at the one nearest me live in the area. They do try to keep the area clean and neater than the others 2 stores. 3 of the gals do know something about sewing. The other stores have employees from other departments cut the fabric. Each store is different.
Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I think it will depend on how that Walmart handles that fabric department. I have seen huge differences in fabric departments from WalMart to WalMart. There are 3 WalMarts that I live reasonably close to. Each of these have a fabric department, but they are each very different. WalMart #1 is a mess... the area is not very big, and its very disorganized. I didn't even enjoy looking at the fabric, it was a mess. WalMart #2 is organized but not very big, the selection is very limited and they even seem to keep getting the same fabrics in there that they have always had. (I purchased some fabric there 3 years ago and they have that very same fabric there now... is it a slow mover or a good seller they want to restock?? I don't know, but I've been there I've done that .. don't want to do it again.) I won't even go back to WalMart #1 fabric department, WalMart #2 fabric department I still can pick up some things (thread, basting spray, scissors, batting). Now WalMart #3 has a much bigger selection and it is very organized. I enjoy going to that one. But you still have to ring a bell and wait for the guy from the gun counter to come over and cut your fabric... and he has no idea if you have any questions. I don't think the fabric department in a WalMart is a true competitor to a Local Quilt Shop... but then it will depend on the shoppers. The fabric at WalMart will be cheaper, but the quality will not be the same. If I am making a quilt for a loved one I want to use fabric I know that will last.. and not so sure about the WalMart fabric, SOME of it (I can't say all of it because I don't know that) is thin and I would be concerned about how it would hold up