Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy? >

Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy?

Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy?

Old 03-12-2015, 05:00 AM

Very nice, looks like you have a lot of new projects in your future.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:13 AM

I love scrappy quilts too and I used to do what you do - 1/2 yard at a time. I've decided that's just a little too small and now buy 1-2 yards at a time. That way I can lop off a piece and do scrappy if I want; OR it's usually enough for a more "patterned" quilt if that's what I decide to do with it.

At those prices I'd probably be picking up prints for backings too. I tend to make a lot of 72" square quilts as oversized throws. I need about 5 yards of a print to make a backing on those; so when I'm buying regular-width prints for backings I buy them in 5-yard increments. I especially like printed backings on quilts for kids. Quilts I make for grown-ups and for beds tend to get more neutral backings, but that's not a rule, just a tendency.

I like the fabrics you bought...but where's the rest of it? ;-) Oh, you must have some of that "self control" stuff I've heard so much about! LOL
Old 03-12-2015, 05:28 AM

I love the fabrics you have chosen And I love scrappy quilts and I think any fabric, new or old looks great in those quilts. I have read where people have had fabrics over 10 years and took it out and made a beautiful quilt so I don't know how they say some fabrics go out of style. I don't think any fabric is out of style when it is incorporated into a beautiful quilt. :-) Of course I am a beginner and don't know much, just know what I like and I love colors, lots of colors. You have choosen well. :-) can't wait to see the quilt you make with the pretty fabrics.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:31 AM

I don't know what I would buy but I would be dancing in the isles with the pricing! I would buy what ever I liked because soon or later, I would find a use for it.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 AM

It's too late unless you can go back but I would be looking for X-tra wide yardage for backing.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 AM

I agree NikkiLu. I go there but never seem to buy. I also go to FM on Fremont down by the Sears store. I do buy from there. I need to check out the Quilt Sampler. I know a lot of quilters like Merrily We Quilt Along.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:37 AM

I would be nervous shopping the online store. For example, the "extra wide backing" doesn't even say how wide it is. How wide do they consider extra wide? It's hard to make informed decisions without facts. You may have to take quality on faith, but I would at least want to know how MUCH I'm paying for.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 AM

I live just south of SPFD and go to all those shops. A lot of time if I buy the bolt I can get it for 1.99 a yd. Works out great for charity quilt and for the VA lap quilts. Never had a complaint yet. They get their fabric from Marshalls in Ark
Old 03-12-2015, 08:10 AM

OMG I would be jumping up and down. When I don't have a specific project in mind and I really love a fabric I always buy 3 yards. Jeanne S has the correct idea for scrappy advising to buy the half yard cuts. What you have purchased has made me drool all over my keyboard. Blenders are so important to have on hand so go for some of those. I've collected many for my stash and they are, and always are, a life saver. Have fun!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 AM

I would pretend I was buying to make a quilt and choose fabrics that I could use in that quilt. I buy 2 yards of each. The leftovers from the top could be used to make the back.