Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Panels help

Blog Entries

Fabric Panels help

I am going to my Quilt Guild retreat at the end of March. I am taking a fractured quilt class while there. The supply list I received says I need 9 to 16 repeats of the same fabric panel. I have searched online and most panels come with only 1 repeat of a design per yard. I would then need 9 to 16 yard to get what I need. I sure can't afford that! Anyone know of somewhere to get that many repeats of a single panel without breaking the bank? Otherwise I will have to drop the class. Thanks for your help. YOu guys on here always have such good suggestions.

you may want to contact the shop that gave you that supply list & ask for clairification- i've made a couple fractured quilts- we used a (printed fabric) not an actual (one picture panal) much like the fabric selections for one block wonders- except they did have a specific repeat of a picture (like- one lady's was butterflies) anyway---before (breaking the bank) call the shop & talk to them about what exactly you need
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

sorry- just noticed it's a (guild activity) so call one of the guild members who are part of this program.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

It means the repeat of the pattern in the fabric. When you go to your LQS, I'm sue they can explain it better.

Blog Entries
    I used a length of fabric with large print motifs ( mine was flowers). I love this tech....you get amazing quts. Have fun!!!

Blog Entries
    I would ask about the recommended size of the repeat (panel). If you can get away with a small one, like 12", then you can find a large print to use. If the repeat is 12", and you need 9 to 16 of them, that is 3 to 5.5 yards
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Yes, using the term "panel" is confusing in this context - they mean repeats in the pattern of the yardage. As Paper Princess just said, decide on the approximate size you want to work with, then purchase according.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Blog Entries
    I'm not finding any panels I like or can afford since there is only usually one repeat in a yard. The retreat is 2 guilds combined and the instructor is in the other guilt. I am trying to get her email since her supply list is pretty brief and unclear. I just looked at Joann for a large print I can fussy cut. They didn't have anything good. I didn't have time to stop at Hancocks. Maybe tomorrow? I have a while to look for something. If I knew it was a technique I liked it wouldn't bother me as much to shell out the money for fabric. There are also quite a few LQS here so I will look. I was hoping someone here knew of somewhere that sold panels. I did find a shop that specializes in them, but it was still a lot of yardage. Thanks everyone for responding.

Hey Meanmom what guild do you belong to in Butler County?
    I have often thought about joining one.
    Goodluck finding those cuts.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Blog Entries
    I like the Oxford Guild. It is a little far for me, 22 miles but I don't care. There is also a guild in Middletown but I don't have any info on it other than the name. PM me for more info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast