Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric prices >

Fabric prices

Fabric prices

Old 03-07-2014, 10:27 AM

I think that we can still find deals out there...like JoAnn's coupons - sales - Walmart - thrift stores - I buy my more expensive items - backing, batting when i have a 40 or 50% off coupon. We are all trying to be thrifty....but then again - i don't smoke any more - don't really drink but the occasional beer - don't eat out much - do my own yard work and house work and cooking - shop my stash more often than not -- so, my vice is to budget in the occasional fabric purchases/splurges. You only live once !!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 AM

I can remember fussing when yardage went above $5.00 a yard - can't believe how high it's gotten now. I simply can't afford to buy yardage at $12-14 per yard. Sad.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM

Let's just say....I am VERY glad I have a HUGE stash...I could sew for the next five to ten years.and not buy an inch of fabric.....no exaggeration. When I am ready to buy or need to it is for small projects these days. When I buy, for me, I choose to buy at LQS, not online. LQS are working hard to keep there prices between $9-11 a yard in my area. So I really try hard to buy from them.

P.s. Also kinda old fashion...I like to feel my fabric before I purchase
Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM

I have seen it around 11.95 to 12.95 - its a bit shocking - I am buying online more and more - I look for sales and coupon codes - then I can get the fabric I like at a decent price.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
prices range from $10-$20 a meter.

these threads are really starting to chafe. i wish people could understand the slavery economy behind fabric production, and the reality of what it would cost should the true costs of fabric be charged back to the consumer. the environmental impact of industrial cotton production is truly, truly horrifying.

we pay a small fraction of what fabric really costs, both to the humans who make it and to the planet that we take it from.

aileen
This could probably be said about just about anything "produced," esp. if it involves Asia or Africa.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I think that we can still find deals out there...like JoAnn's coupons - sales - Walmart - thrift stores - I buy my more expensive items - backing, batting when i have a 40 or 50% off coupon. We are all trying to be thrifty....but then again - i don't smoke any more - don't really drink but the occasional beer - don't eat out much - do my own yard work and house work and cooking - shop my stash more often than not -- so, my vice is to budget in the occasional fabric purchases/splurges. You only live once !!!!
This is a great point. Many people don't mind paying $25-$50 for one meal (for two people) at a restaurant, but gripe and complain about the high price of something that actually has a much more lasting value than 4-5 hours of a full stomach.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:47 PM

In Poland one store has a few cottons for about $7/meter for the cheaper fabrics. There are some higher quality cottons that people use for making the folk costumes out of it. They are $15/meter--but they are gorgeous! They come in about 4 colors--black with pink flowers, blue with pink flowers, off white with pink flowers and green with pink flowers.

I've seen on line the more expensive imported fabrics from big names for probably about $5 for a fat quarter.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:01 PM

Over here in Germany you'll get of real high qualitiy "patchwork fabric" no meter ( about 1.1 yards) under 15€ which is about 20$!!!!
Often you find today prices even higher: 18€ -- 25 $ or 19.90€ --- 27.60$!!!
And I was really shocked when I saw last week fabrics with this price: 25€ ---- 34.60$ per meter!!!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:18 PM

I mostly buy online at Connecting Threads, Fabric.com or Thousands of bolts. If I can find a good sale for material about $7.00 or under I sometimes buy what I want. Getting really hard to have enough $$$ to make a quilt...has to be a labor of love now.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:35 PM

I like to buy from Whittles, $5.00 a yard for most fabric and shipping is great also!!