Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric too pretty to cut! >

Fabric too pretty to cut!

Fabric too pretty to cut!

Old 10-27-2014, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I just wait for the right pattern to pop up and then you have to measure twice and cut once (an old carpenter saying).
Old 10-27-2014, 06:09 AM

If you love it that much you should make something for yourself, if you don't, someone else will benefit from it later on!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Pretty fabric is like teenage true love. You are heartbroken over the split up of the love of your life until the next love of your life comes along. I find fabric that I think is the most beautiful ever and have to have every time I go to a quilt shop.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter View Post
Well, if you don't use that beautiful fabric sometime, someone else will get it for a steal and will happily use it! I know that I am digging into my "too pretty to cut" fabrics because I want to use them before I die and my family sells it for $1 a pound!!!
I so agree with this....hard as it is I am keeping this firmly in mind and running amok with all those 'special' fabrics I've been putting aside.

Today when I visited my mother, we went on a charity shop crawl....cool fun and got Mum some lovely clothes and accessories. I picked up two sets of pillowcases, good quality cotton, Australian made, still in the cellophane wrapper....must be about 30-40 years old and completely untouched. When I got to the counter I said "seems like someone saved them for best", "Yeah and obviously never used them - what are you going to do with them, they look good quality". Unwrap them, wash them and use them said I.....now to apply that to 'stash'
Old 10-27-2014, 06:56 AM

What I would like to know is if you find a great picture and then use it to draw out your own pattern, are you breaking any kind of copywright? I loved that quilt too and it did not take me very long to figure out some measurements that would work. I don't know if I came up with the same measurements as the pattern designer used or not. I don't plan on making a pattern for sale or churning out dozens of these quilts but will use my measurements to make a quilt for my grandson. If I show it at my guild quilt show, can I just say it was inspired by ....... and give the name of the designer?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:20 AM

I used to have the hardest time cutting into those oh so beautiful fabrics... and finding just the perfect pattern to honor such a wonderful textile. Now that I have had several of those too beautiful to cut fabrics accumulate and now don't seem quite as awesome, or have found to hard way finding complementary fabrics nearly impossible, I use them. As one thing is for sure, there will always be another too beautiful to cut fabric I just have to have.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 AM

I have about 10 pieces of special fabric that I fondle and put away because I can not cut then yet.Maybe one day I will find something to go with them and cuddle a quilt instead of fondling fabric.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Leslie333 View Post
I have a print I got to make a quilt "eventually" for DH and had just a yard and wasn't sure what to do. I came across this pattern this weekend to keep the main print in one piece. Plus, it's a quick quilt which is important since I've decided to do it for our anniversary in a month. Since I'm doing it as a surprise it had to be pretty quick to piece, then I'll have to find ways to get him out of the house to quilt it.
http://www.quiltwoman.com/The-Crafts...t-Pattern.aspx
What a great pattern to use with a "love it but just can't cut it" fabric! Thanks for finding and posting that.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:56 PM

I organized my fabric when I retired in the spring. I have so many panels that I will never use. I going to use them for backing. I plan on taking one and using bigger pieces of fabric that I bought because I liked it with no plan in mind and bordering the panel with it for backs.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
Leslie 333, that is a really neat idea for a beautiful print, thank you for the link!
Yes, thanks, Leslie 333. This is perfect for a "panel" I have.