Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fancy stitches

I have a Janome sewing machine with lots of decorative stitches. I have used it a lot, but only the straight and zig-zag stitches.
    Any ideas of how to use some of the other fancy stitches on my quilts? You are a very creative group…all suggestions welcome!
    Many thanks

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quilt with them! It will look great on crazy quilt type projects.

Sew your binding on the back and pull it to the front and then sew down with fancy stitches. It can be very cute on kids' quilts.

Embellish a plain block with a line of fancy stitches before sewing the top together.

Use with contrasting thread to hem pillowcases or curtains, or as crazy quilting stitches, or to fill a narrow border.

I have done all of the above, and would add, use varigated thread when you are quilting with the decorative stitches. That really makes your quilting special!! And Unique!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unique Creations
    I have done all of the above, and would add, use varigated thread when you are quilting with the decorative stitches. That really makes your quilting special!! And Unique!!
    And you can use any troublesome threads in the bobbin and sew up-side-down, metallics or bulky types.

I've started to use them on a wallhanging that has fusible applique on it. It's a winter one so I used my snowflake stitch on the snow, leaf one on the pine trees etc. It's been a lot of fun experimenting. I do practice width, length on a scrap piece of fabric and write down the settings I like next to each sample. I really need to get back to that project!

I've been making Needle Wallets
    Made my sister one with 3 inch blocks
    (2 1/2 after sewing then I Put Stars
    down the outside seams turned out great.
    Made a scrappy one for me and used all kinds
    of decorative stitches on it. Just have fun with them.
    Rita

Quilt as you go projects are a great place to use your decorative stitches. I believe there may be tututorials here on the board and there are also some patterns called Fun and Done on the market, easy and more complex ones.

mltquilt

I quilt with mine. I pick out which one I like and go with it. I use whatever I can. Used a lot of them on charity quilts for the Guild.

klc
    Our LQS had a pillow that used all of the decoratived stitches. It was really neat looking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast