Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fat Quarters vs. 1/4 yard length

If a pattern calls for lots of FQs would you/could you substitute 1/4 yard of fabric? I figured out the FQ has more fabric per square inch, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

A fat quarter and a regular quarter have exactly the same amount of square inches. 18 x 22 = 396, 9 x 44 = 396 The main difference is the sizes of squares you can cut from each one. You can't cut a 10 inch square from a regular quarter yard and you can from a fat quarter.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    It's actually the same number of square inches in a FQ as a linear 1/4 yard cut.

It depends on how the pattern has you using the fabrics. If you need skinny strips than a linear quarter is better. If you need a 10" x 10" square, then you must have a FQ.

Sorry... you already had the answer by the time I posted this!

They have the same amount of square inches. A FQ is 18 by 22 (or half the length of the material) and a quarter is 9 by 44 (or the length of the material). It depends on how you need to cut the fabric for grain purposes which would be easier to work with.

Thanks - I guess I must have multiplied the sq. inches wrong - been out of school too long. The pattern calls for mostly 2 1/2" strips and the largest strip is 6 1/2" wide, so I guess I could buy 1/4 yard instead of FQs.

You will get an extra 2 1/2 inch strip out of a FQ. Because 2 1/2 times 3 is 7 1/2 and you will end up with 1 1/2 inch strip left over and you then have to allow for squaring.

2 1/2 times times 7 is 17 1/2. So allowing for squaring you can get an extra strip.

In that case I would use FQ.

Yes, they are the same sq. in. and it depends on the size of your cuttings.
    However, if you wash your fabrics, and they shrink slightly, you may not get 'enough" from 1/4 yd.
    I hate buying FQ as they are usually more expensive buying that way than yardage, so I usually buy 1/2 yard and add the extra fabric not used, to build my "stash". :-))

Quote Originally Posted by cpfrog
    However, if you wash your fabrics, and they shrink slightly, you may not get 'enough" from 1/4 yd.
    I hate buying FQ as they are usually more expensive buying that way than yardage, so I usually buy 1/2 yard and add the extra fabric not used, to build my "stash". :-))
    I don't wash my fabrics, however I am looking at 1/2 yards just because of my luck in the past. I hate to be short and I could always make the pattern larger with the extra fabric. Plus the fabric I want is on sale - so that helps too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3699quilter
    Thanks - I guess I must have multiplied the sq. inches wrong - been out of school too long. The pattern calls for mostly 2 1/2" strips and the largest strip is 6 1/2" wide, so I guess I could buy 1/4 yard instead of FQs.
    Often you can buy a 1/3yd for about the same price as a FQ too :wink: :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfrog
    I do the same. I never buy 1/4 yd of fabric (unless it's in a bundle), but always 1/2 yd or more, and put the remainder in my stash. If you make an error cutting, or it shrinks too much, you will run short, and that is major frustration!!! :? :? ;)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast