Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns that use 1/4 yard cuts (not fat quarters)? >

Patterns that use 1/4 yard cuts (not fat quarters)?

Patterns that use 1/4 yard cuts (not fat quarters)?

Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 PM

Question Patterns that use 1/4 yard cuts (not fat quarters)?

I know I saw one of these not long ago on a blog, but I ignored it because I don't have any 1/4 yard cuts. Or so I thought. I do have a whole bunch that were left over after cutting pieces for a quilt. Any ideas?

Another idea is to piece them all together for the back of the quilt but I love this fabric so if I can make a second quilt with it I will be super happy.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:53 AM

I'm pretty sure i remember seeing a thread where someone else requested patterns for 1/4 yard strips but alas i cannot find it. I'm a silly newb lol

As soon as someone else comes along with it, I better bookmark it for myself. I have been picking up remnants here and there and a lot are 1/4 to 1/3 yard strips.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

You can always cut them into jelly roll strips and there are lots of patterns for those.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 AM

here is one http://www.thequiltedcastle.com/item...achers-Pet.htm
Old 04-12-2014, 06:20 AM

You can use your standard 1/4 yd cuts in place of fat quarters in many patterns. You just need to think of it as 2 pieces that are each half of a fat quarter. I just finished cutting a Yellow Brick Road (fq pattern) from a combination of fat and standard quarter yard pieces. You can also use them as strips for Log Cabin, Rail Fence, or Hidden Wells quilts.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
You can use your standard 1/4 yd cuts in place of fat quarters in many patterns. You just need to think of it as 2 pieces that are each half of a fat quarter.
I have done this as well especially with the Yellow Brick Road pattern. Just try to redraw the cutting layout to fit your 1/4 yard cuts. Good Luck !!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 AM

something is wrong with me because i honestly don't understand this sort of problem. The amount of fabric that you have is the same. Unless you need some odd cuts, you use it in the same way. I'm a scrappy gal, so please excuse my ignorance.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 AM

A 1/4 yard is 9 inches x WOF. Therefore you can use almost any pattern that has pieces that fit that size and is a bit scrappy with some repeats.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
something is wrong with me because i honestly don't understand this sort of problem. The amount of fabric that you have is the same. Unless you need some odd cuts, you use it in the same way. I'm a scrappy gal, so please excuse my ignorance.
It seems like a lot of my FQ patterns use pieces wider than 9". But my point was that I saw that pattern, dismissed it because it said "1/4 yard cuts-not fat quarters" and don't know where I saw it and now I want to find it again. Not because I can't do anything else with the cuts but because I want to find THAT pattern. And that's the only way I can identify it is that it calls for 1/4 yard cuts...
Old 04-12-2014, 01:57 PM

MANY of the fat quarter patterns can be cut from linear quarters. I hardly ever buy FQ's, I prefer yardage. However most of my patterns calling for FQ's can be cut from a skinny quarter.

You don't remember the name of the pattern.......

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!