Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fatcat's Christmas row by row question...

Can anyone tell me how they would put together the snowman block? Do you put the snowman together then put it on the block, or do you put the snowman on the block one peice at a time? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is it applique? I put all my applique pieces on the block at one time and then stitch around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Is it applique? I put all my applique pieces on the block at one time and then stitch around them.
    I'm assuming so as that is what it looks like to me, but I'm totally new at this so I could be wrong. This is the website: http://fatcatpatterns.com/christmas_row_by_row.htm

I think it could be done either way.

I trace each piece of the applique on lightweight fusible interfacing (Wonder Under) then iron the fusible to the fabric then cut each piece out.

Next on the picture of the total applique I number each piece starting with the one that is "on the bottom of the pile" (not necessarily the piece at the bottom of the picture), numbering each one as it layers on top of the one before it. For these snowmen #1 would be the bottom of the snowman, #2 the middle of the snowman, etc with the mouth & nose & being last. You cn number the individual pieces too if that helps.

Then I iron #1 to the background & sew around it with zigzag or satin stitch - but I don't stitch on the parts that will be overlapped by the next piece (this would be the topmost part of the snowman bottom piece). Then I iron on #2, stitch, then #3 and on & on.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to everyone who has helped. I think I know how to go about getting it done...