Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: feather quilting

feather quilting

I would like to get better at feather quilting on my machine (not a long arm) Do most people use a stencil and were is a good place to get one? I have a simple one I have done a little but it is not as wide as some of the beautiful ones I have seen. Thanks for your help

I use my embroidery machine to quilt with...is this cheating? I have purchased many feather quilting patterns from Embroidery Library for $1.00 each and put them into my embroidery machine....resize if I want to...hoop up and stitch! I just started doing this this summer and love it and the results and evidently everyone I show my quilts to love it as well!
    I did buy buy some stencils for free motion, but I really am not comfortable yet with free motion, so this works for me.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

great idea-using embroidery. I think stencils would help-and use chalk to get lines to follow.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Ive used my embroidery machine also, but also use my domestic. sometimes I draw them before quilting. Or I'll just draw the spine of the feather and freehand the feathers. I do the same on my frame machine.

I bought and use the Hooked On Feathers book.
    Molly O

I guess I am with you gals bought anetagoodesigns about 6 months ago use them on my singer 400xl the look really nice. maggie

For those of you using the embroidery machine for quilting, was it a big learning curve

After buying several books I bought Patsy Thompson's DVD about feathers and that's was the ticket for me. It helped to see someone quilting feathers. There are many different ways to make feathers and you have to find the one that works for you. I found the DVD at Joann's and I was able to use a coupon. Good luck with your feathers!

To practice ...I traced some on tissue paper and placed it over the area( scrap sandwiches) . It was just to get the hang of it ...

I haven't really done any feathers yet. I am trying my luck at QAYG but may have to try the feathers on the borders.
    God creates miracles every day,you just have to look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast