Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Featherweights

Blog Entries
    I hate to sound stupid, but i keep seeing references to Featherweights. Exactly what is a featherweight?

Blog Entries

They are so fun! And little bitty!

Blog Entries
    A little old lightweight singer sewing machine 221. Mine was made prior to 1940. Google featherweight and there is lots of info. Here is a photo http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-82012-1.htm

Blog Entries
    :-D
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plus, they purr!!!

Blog Entries
    The sweetest little sewing machine ever! :)

I LOVE my FW 221! I waited for years to find a reasonable opportunity to buy one, & finally got mine from a friend who has 7 still. They are small, lightweight, easy to take to a class, & sew a very nice little straight stitch. When a machine isn't too complicated, it also doesn't tend to be unreliable. There are also many feet & gadgets for this little machine because they made them from 1933 to 1964. I bought my extras from ebay, many vintage machine parts sellers are there. Don't pay more than $300, they are out there; some dealers charge around $1000 when they sell them from a shop. If you want to find one right away, contact Nancy's Notions online. She has reliable shops she's known for years who will find one for you & do a complete service & pack well for shipping. Hope you'll get the opportunity to give one a whirl.

Here are mine. They are so cute and sew a perfect stitch. Love them! :thumbup:

Mary's Featherweights
    Name:  Attachment-174300.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  62.4 KB

I have a Featherweight 221 and after doing some research, I recently purchased a Singer 301A for all quilting. It is referred to as the "Big Sister" to the 221. The Featherweight 221 is belt driven, but the 301 is gear driven. A bit bigger, but I love it. No regrets about that purchase.These old Singers (in my opinion) are better for piecing then my Bernina. Bernina is now put away unless I need for a buttonhole. Otherwise, my 301A is the new kid on the block and I love it.