Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A few tee-shirt quilt questions >

A few tee-shirt quilt questions

A few tee-shirt quilt questions

Old 11-03-2015, 06:19 PM

I knew I hung around this smoky club for a reason. Thank you!

So far, I've added the interfacing. I set up a big makeshift ironing board on sawhorses: a piece of plywood and a couple of layers of old wool blankets. I put the interfacing sticky-side up and arranged the patches of tee shirt on it. I used a damp ironing cloth in order not to melt the tee shirt "message" - I have no idea what it's made of, but it tolerated the medium heat of the iron through the cloth and the interfacing bonded OK. The patches were cut roughly, so I could overlap the edges and not get adhesive on the iron.

Thanks to your help, my attitude has gone from dread to eagerness. I would like to try to quilt it as a whole if possible, since I have my wonderful Singer 31-15 treadle set up and ready to go. I haven't solved the walking-foot problem though. Do you think a rolling foot would suffice, if there's no batting? I posted a question here about a walking foot that fits the 31-15 and even called a couple of suppliers. Strangely, nobody knows of one that will work.

Last edited by Manalto; 11-03-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:17 PM

I've made a number of t-shirt quilts--have two on the design wall right now and have to get done by Christmas--one is partially done and friend just decided that she would pay me "an arm & leg" to finish as she's bogged down! Neither of these have uniform block sizes due to logos--if your's does then it should be very easy to put together. I almost always use sashings, especially with multi-size blocks as it allows you to make them uniform and also gives eye a break from the huge variety of colors/logos. I generally put them together like vertical row quilts--seems there's more uniformity of the logos that way. And I put a border on it to frame and pull together the design. I also use a 80-20 bat, but I long arm it. I have done a QAYG where you do each block separate (or you could do a row) and then attach by sewing sashing on one edge of block(row) and then fold it over and tuck and sew either by hand or by machine like you would binding. These quilts are heavy and bulky so QAYG may be a good idea. I think the bat "absorbs" the bulky edges of the stabilized t-shirt edges

I would add that if the t-shirt blocks are very big (i.e. larger than about 6") then you need to be sure to quilt on the block too, not just SID--I recommend using same color thread and quilting around the logo(or even though the logo) like it was an applique.

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 11-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
Thanks Carol, that's helpful. I do believe my blood pressure dropped a few points just listening to Rose Smith's voice.
I have no advice for you on this project, but laughed at your blood pressure comment so much I had to go watch the video too! You are right, she has a very calming voice and demeanor. I wonder what she would do in some sort of crisis---likely handle whatever it was with aplomb!! Good luck on your t-shirt quilt, I have confidence it will come out great. Looking forward to some photos!
Old 11-04-2015, 02:21 AM

I have made just one T-shirt quilt. It was not my "cup to tea"! I used the pattern, "TOO COOL T SHIRT" and it was a great pattern. Lots of cutting but the result was wonderful and my son was so very pleased with his Harley Davidson quilt. I used about 53 shirts and misc. HD items and the quilt ended being 90"x90".......it was a one time thing but it was also an experience.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I would add that if the t-shirt blocks are very big (i.e. larger than about 6") then you need to be sure to quilt on the block too, not just SID--I recommend using same color thread and quilting around the logo(or even though the logo) like it was an applique.
Looks like I'll be adding some colors to the thread arsenal other than brown, gray, green, black and white.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
...she has a very calming voice and demeanor. I wonder what she would do in some sort of crisis---likely handle whatever it was with aplomb!!
"Rose! Rose!!! The barn is on fire!!!"
"Pity."
Old 11-04-2015, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

You might consider taking a photo or two of your layout while it is in the design stages .

Then take a photo or two of it while it is still "just a top" and have someone else look at the picture to make sure everything is going the same direction.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:50 PM

I've made several tee shirt quilts. I sew the 12 1/2 inch squares of the design (with interfacing on the back) of the tee shirt into strips. I use the flip and sew method to put the backing and (interfacing if needed)on it. I then quilt the first strip using FMQ and the free motion foot. Using the FMQ you can stitch around the design and lettering easily and as close as you think needed. Then I add the sashing in the flip and sew method. Then keep adding strips and sashing till you are done. In this method you are only dealing with quilting 12 inches at a time. It is so nice of you to do this, not having made one before.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 AM

All of the above. I am making one now that has only a 5.5x4.5 logo on left front of shirt. I am cutting up the rest of the tees to use as fabric and making a log cabin kinda design. I have not ever oriented the tees every which way, but had a young student who did It was awesome. She also cut up the rest of her tees and used as sashing or to make a smaller design to fit a space.
I have also used flannel and regular quilting cottons with much success. Any leftover blocks, I have used as part of the backing. Yes they are very heavy with or without batting. I have used flannel on back, but this quilt is getting fleece on the back and no batting.

Good luck. Enjoy the oohs and ahhs you will be receiving.
Pegeth