View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 07:17 PM
quiltingshorttimer

I've made a number of t-shirt quilts--have two on the design wall right now and have to get done by Christmas--one is partially done and friend just decided that she would pay me "an arm & leg" to finish as she's bogged down! Neither of these have uniform block sizes due to logos--if your's does then it should be very easy to put together. I almost always use sashings, especially with multi-size blocks as it allows you to make them uniform and also gives eye a break from the huge variety of colors/logos. I generally put them together like vertical row quilts--seems there's more uniformity of the logos that way. And I put a border on it to frame and pull together the design. I also use a 80-20 bat, but I long arm it. I have done a QAYG where you do each block separate (or you could do a row) and then attach by sewing sashing on one edge of block(row) and then fold it over and tuck and sew either by hand or by machine like you would binding. These quilts are heavy and bulky so QAYG may be a good idea. I think the bat "absorbs" the bulky edges of the stabilized t-shirt edges

I would add that if the t-shirt blocks are very big (i.e. larger than about 6") then you need to be sure to quilt on the block too, not just SID--I recommend using same color thread and quilting around the logo(or even though the logo) like it was an applique.

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 11-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.