Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: first binding

Blog Entries
    If you just can't make it work - been there :) -you can always apply binding to both sides first, and then top and bottom, enclosing the raw edges inside a fold at each corner....great if you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Elmers glue is a thick,white, water soluable glue made from starch. School kids use this as it is non toxic. :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7Trk6J2Vw

I still refer to the youtube one everytime I do a binding.
    I just posted this video for someone else the other day. I have been doing straight seam binding for a few years because I never could get the ends to lay flat without having to spend forever sewing and resewing....I have made four quilts using this method and it works 100% of the time!
    It is honestly never fail!

I've been at home sick for the past 5 days....one good thing about it is that I've watched alot of youtube videos about quilting, binding, mitering...I usually never have time to watch them.

Thanks for all the links! I think my next quilt is going to be awesome because of all these tips.

Blog Entries
    Well, this is how my binding went: I thought I knew enough to just wing it so I folded my binding in half and sewed only one thickness to the rug. Then I began the sewing at a corner...ripped it out. Then began again and still sewed only one thickness of binding material. But I got it all back to the place I started and got the two attached. Now I have to "hem" the back side (turn it under and hand stitch). In the mean time...I made another...maybe tomorrow I can get pics on. It's been a fun learning experience and I will NEVER bind another mug rug! What I learned to do in the whole experience is meandering quilting on my machine!! What fun! You will see in the pics tomorrow it wasn't a perfect attempt but a fun one. And I will get better. So if I FMQ well I shouldn't need to be able to bind! (Just my thoughts on the subject!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful
    Well, this is how my binding went: I thought I knew enough to just wing it so I folded my binding in half and sewed only one thickness to the rug. Then I began the sewing at a corner...ripped it out. Then began again and still sewed only one thickness of binding material. But I got it all back to the place I started and got the two attached. Now I have to "hem" the back side (turn it under and hand stitch). In the mean time...I made another...maybe tomorrow I can get pics on. It's been a fun learning experience and I will NEVER bind another mug rug! What I learned to do in the whole experience is meandering quilting on my machine!! What fun! You will see in the pics tomorrow it wasn't a perfect attempt but a fun one. And I will get better. So if I FMQ well I shouldn't need to be able to bind! (Just my thoughts on the subject!)
    Well, here are the pics of my first and last binding on a mug rug! Too small to work with easily. I did not enjoy it at all. I might try it on a quilt, but that will be a bigger project.

The binding from h*ll!!
    Name:  Attachment-182402.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  69.0 KB

What will I do with these for edging?
    Name:  Attachment-182412.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  64.8 KB

Blog Entries
    you did a fine first job! not to worry!

maybe trying a single fold binding instead of the double fold.

you could probably go narrower on the next one too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    you did a fine first job! not to worry!

maybe trying a single fold binding instead of the double fold.

you could probably go narrower on the next one too.
    That might make it easier! Thanks for your kind words!

Blog Entries
    Well, "they" say "never say never"! I have bound (binded) two more mug rugs! I did use just a single thickness and that seemed to work a bit better. I won't say I love it, but I'm doing it. The worst part is attaching the two ends together. Never get that quite tight so there is a wrinkle. My corners look okay though, so guess it's not too bad. Thank you all sooo sewww much for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2