Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Bonnie Hunter Workshop >

First Bonnie Hunter Workshop

First Bonnie Hunter Workshop

Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 PM

I've never taken classes outside my LQS but just signed up for a weekend with Bonnie. I have a feeling many of the people will know one another, and I'll be alone, but I'm sure I'll strike up conversations with the people around me.

I wouldn't have thought about bringing an extension cord, but that's a good idea. The shop that's hosting the weekend is supposed to send out a list of what to bring, but I pulled out the books that have the patterns we'll be working on anyway so I can start pulling fabrics.

I've heard she's lovely and I can't wait to get away!

PeaceandJoy--Is that the Stargazer pattern? That's one I'll be working on with her. Yours is lovely!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Thanks so much for the ideas. I am really excited about this opportunity. I'll post the quilt we work on.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I've never taken classes outside my LQS but just signed up for a weekend with Bonnie. I have a feeling many of the people will know one another, and I'll be alone, but I'm sure I'll strike up conversations with the people around me.

I wouldn't have thought about bringing an extension cord, but that's a good idea. The shop that's hosting the weekend is supposed to send out a list of what to bring, but I pulled out the books that have the patterns we'll be working on anyway so I can start pulling fabrics.

I've heard she's lovely and I can't wait to get away!

PeaceandJoy--Is that the Stargazer pattern? That's one I'll be working on with her. Yours is lovely!
Nilla - When I went to a BH workshop, it was in DE last April. I travelled 8 hours or so to see her, and would do it again in a heartbeat! I knew nobody there, but had a wonderful time. Are you part "quiltvillechat," which is a Yahoo group? That was how I got into the class to begin with - I'd been trying, unsuccessfully, to get in one and ended up seeing a posting there about one that actually had openings.

If you aren't a member, you might consider joining, then you could post a thread asking if anyone else was going to be there that you could meet up with.

The quilts Bonnie is holding are Carolina Christmas, which was a mystery (3 years ago?) and is now in one of her books and Star Struck, which is one of her many free patterns from her web page.

You'll have a great time, I'm sure!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:54 PM

I can't help with the supply list, but I can welcome you in advance to Winston-Salem! Your hotel is right downtown (a good thing) and only two blocks easy walk from a district loaded with art galleries and great restaurants. I'm sure your workshop is all-inclusive, and you won't actually need to go in search of food, but if you decide to go out on your own I HIGHLY recommend 6th and Vine and Sweet Potatoes, and the general ambiance and fun of Trade Street.

I hope you enjoy your workshop, and get a chance to see W-S.

Alison
Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM

The supply list will be coming. I took a class with her last year at the Vermont Quiltfest by myself and had a good time. Take the usual goodies, including items mentioned above. Mt Scrappy trips was only a hour class so no snacks, but folks brought a few goodies to share. Bring bottled water, and definitely a pillow to sit on. She usually has music in the background. Camera recommended!
The first 10 minutes of the class is spent helping everyone be sure they have an accurate 1/4" seam, and she sells a needle guide for $2 or $3 which is useful for aligning any machine. Your class supply list will be helpful for getting all your fabrics precut, so it's "pedal to the metal" when you are ready to sew. Be sure your machine is ready, and I always take a spare. The hardest thing for me was to decide what type of fabrics to use.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 AM

Hi Edie!
I am also going to her class in W/S! It will be my first BH class and I can't think about anything else. If you just heard, they must still be registering. My email confirmation arrived 4/15. I haven't see anything that indicates that this class is full. So, from another Carolina gal, y'all come.
Alison is right, Winston Salem is a great place for this. Great welcome, Alison and good information. My DH is coming as well and he'll be searching for places to "play" with his metal detector. Any suggestions? He's never found a thing of value. His typical haul is a couple of pennies and a dime or quarter but this hobby keeps him out of trouble while I quilt so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. LOL He's such an old boy scout that playgrounds, parks, beaches, etc are so much safer after he hauls away the dangerous metal trash he discovers (and he always does) that he always leaves things better than he found them. He's also a horrible fabric stash enabler. Yep, a keeper for sure!
Looking forward to meeting you, Edie!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 AM

I'm jealous. Have been wanting to do one of Bonnie's workshops for a long time. However, I'm a thousand miles form N.C.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by EdieClay View Post
I am so excited that I have been selected to attend a Bonnie Hunter event in August in Winston-Salem, NC. Since this is the first time I have ever attended a quilting workshop like this, I have a few questions. How do you know what to take with you? I know I will need to take my sewing machine, rulers, etc., but how do you know what fabrics to bring? I am driving so I can pile my car high with my stuff, but want to have what I need with me. Also, I am going by myself. I'm a little apprehensive about that, but think from my experience on this Board that it won't be hard to make some friends.
Lucky you! Not to worry--you'll have a great time! I've been on several quilt retreats and it's usually the silly stuff I forget so, in addition to the extension cord and pillow for your bum, pack some Tylenol, tweezers, bandaids, and dental floss! Oh, and a hand held radio so you can listen to the outside world--one time, we had a wicked thunderstorm and the lights went out! So make a list and check it twice! Then sit back and enjoy your weekend--sew up a storm!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 AM
FLQ

I'm envious. Bonnie is an inspiration. I love her designs, books, sense of humor....I've tried and tried to get to one of her classes but I'm always in the wrong part of the country. I know you'll have a great time and learn a lot. Did you ever notice how her attendees always look like they are at a party when she posts her class photos? I'd wear a favorite color for the photos, lol.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 AM

Please don't forget CHOCOLATE! The Dove little ones are just a biteful and everone loves them.