Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: First Bonnie Hunter Workshop

First Bonnie Hunter Workshop

I am so excited that I have been selected to attend a Bonnie Hunter event in August in Winston-Salem, NC. Since this is the first time I have ever attended a quilting workshop like this, I have a few questions. How do you know what to take with you? I know I will need to take my sewing machine, rulers, etc., but how do you know what fabrics to bring? I am driving so I can pile my car high with my stuff, but want to have what I need with me. Also, I am going by myself. I'm a little apprehensive about that, but think from my experience on this Board that it won't be hard to make some friends.

Which quilt is she teaching? I would gear my fabrics toward the design of the quilt in the colorway I want. She is very helpful, take a look at her site for that particular quilt, for ideas.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I would be very surprised if you don't receive a detailed listing of what to pack.

It looks like it will be an awesome workshop.

Definitely decide what colorway you want to work with and choose your fabrics accordingly - and then choose some extras that coordinate but differ in contrast and value in case you want to change something along the way.

Be sure to pack your power cord for your machine.

I would love to attend the workshop but will be out of town with family that week. (Not that I saw it in time to register).

Cheers, K

Blog Entries
    You will receive a needs list.dont forget foot pedal as wll as power lead. I go to classes on my own and have no problem mixing,. Quilters are friendly people and will always chat.
    I always look on a class or workshop etc as a learning a new technique.if I end up with blue fabrics and wish I had taken the purple I don't worry. On the project you are making you will learn new techniques and fudges when you get home you can use the purple and make no mistakes and if you do you know the answer.
    I ever look for the project to be perfect because listening and sewing and remembering miss.
    What ever happens have fun.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Also take an extension cord - just in case the outlets are not in convenient locations. Otherwise you should be provided with a list of workshop supplies (how many/much fabric, any pre-cutting to be done, etc.).

I am attending a Bonnie Hunter workshop Friday. We got a list from her what we needed for supplies and how much fabric we need for the quilt we are working on. Then I got a separate list from my guild with more stuff. Like extension cords and power strips. I am sure you will get a list when it gets closer.

If you go to her website, choose "calendar" then scroll down to workshops and classes. http://quiltville.com/calendar.shtml

Of course, the usual sewing items (many helpful hints already posted above). If you've any scraps/strips you want to share or trade, there's often a table where folks pile their extras and help themselves from.

And if you've done any of her quilts - whether it's still a flimsy or a completed quilt - and would like to take it, she does a "show and tell" right after lunch. It's great fun to stand up with her and your quilt - be sure to take a camera and have somebody snap a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peaceandjoy; 04-29-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I watch Bonnie's Quilt Cam regularly and she has been talking about getting the supply list out for this event. It will come in time, I'm sure.

Oops - tried to get another one but can't put it in original message.

She'll also have her books available for purchase, so a little extra $ is nice. She will autograph them for you, too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peaceandjoy; 04-29-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Lucky you! Have so much fun! Happy stitching!
    Jean

I've never taken classes outside my LQS but just signed up for a weekend with Bonnie. I have a feeling many of the people will know one another, and I'll be alone, but I'm sure I'll strike up conversations with the people around me.

I wouldn't have thought about bringing an extension cord, but that's a good idea. The shop that's hosting the weekend is supposed to send out a list of what to bring, but I pulled out the books that have the patterns we'll be working on anyway so I can start pulling fabrics.

I've heard she's lovely and I can't wait to get away!

PeaceandJoy--Is that the Stargazer pattern? That's one I'll be working on with her. Yours is lovely!

Thanks so much for the ideas. I am really excited about this opportunity. I'll post the quilt we work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
    I've never taken classes outside my LQS but just signed up for a weekend with Bonnie. I have a feeling many of the people will know one another, and I'll be alone, but I'm sure I'll strike up conversations with the people around me.

I wouldn't have thought about bringing an extension cord, but that's a good idea. The shop that's hosting the weekend is supposed to send out a list of what to bring, but I pulled out the books that have the patterns we'll be working on anyway so I can start pulling fabrics.

I've heard she's lovely and I can't wait to get away!

PeaceandJoy--Is that the Stargazer pattern? That's one I'll be working on with her. Yours is lovely!
    Nilla - When I went to a BH workshop, it was in DE last April. I travelled 8 hours or so to see her, and would do it again in a heartbeat! I knew nobody there, but had a wonderful time. Are you part "quiltvillechat," which is a Yahoo group? That was how I got into the class to begin with - I'd been trying, unsuccessfully, to get in one and ended up seeing a posting there about one that actually had openings.

If you aren't a member, you might consider joining, then you could post a thread asking if anyone else was going to be there that you could meet up with.

The quilts Bonnie is holding are Carolina Christmas, which was a mystery (3 years ago?) and is now in one of her books and Star Struck, which is one of her many free patterns from her web page.

You'll have a great time, I'm sure!

I can't help with the supply list, but I can welcome you in advance to Winston-Salem! Your hotel is right downtown (a good thing) and only two blocks easy walk from a district loaded with art galleries and great restaurants. I'm sure your workshop is all-inclusive, and you won't actually need to go in search of food, but if you decide to go out on your own I HIGHLY recommend 6th and Vine and Sweet Potatoes, and the general ambiance and fun of Trade Street.

I hope you enjoy your workshop, and get a chance to see W-S.

Alison

The supply list will be coming. I took a class with her last year at the Vermont Quiltfest by myself and had a good time. Take the usual goodies, including items mentioned above. Mt Scrappy trips was only a hour class so no snacks, but folks brought a few goodies to share. Bring bottled water, and definitely a pillow to sit on. She usually has music in the background. Camera recommended!
    The first 10 minutes of the class is spent helping everyone be sure they have an accurate 1/4" seam, and she sells a needle guide for $2 or $3 which is useful for aligning any machine. Your class supply list will be helpful for getting all your fabrics precut, so it's "pedal to the metal" when you are ready to sew. Be sure your machine is ready, and I always take a spare. The hardest thing for me was to decide what type of fabrics to use.

Blog Entries
    Hi Edie!
    I am also going to her class in W/S! It will be my first BH class and I can't think about anything else. If you just heard, they must still be registering. My email confirmation arrived 4/15. I haven't see anything that indicates that this class is full. So, from another Carolina gal, y'all come.
    Alison is right, Winston Salem is a great place for this. Great welcome, Alison and good information. My DH is coming as well and he'll be searching for places to "play" with his metal detector. Any suggestions? He's never found a thing of value. His typical haul is a couple of pennies and a dime or quarter but this hobby keeps him out of trouble while I quilt so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. LOL He's such an old boy scout that playgrounds, parks, beaches, etc are so much safer after he hauls away the dangerous metal trash he discovers (and he always does) that he always leaves things better than he found them. He's also a horrible fabric stash enabler. Yep, a keeper for sure!
    Looking forward to meeting you, Edie!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

I'm jealous. Have been wanting to do one of Bonnie's workshops for a long time. However, I'm a thousand miles form N.C.

Quote Originally Posted by EdieClay View Post
    I am so excited that I have been selected to attend a Bonnie Hunter event in August in Winston-Salem, NC. Since this is the first time I have ever attended a quilting workshop like this, I have a few questions. How do you know what to take with you? I know I will need to take my sewing machine, rulers, etc., but how do you know what fabrics to bring? I am driving so I can pile my car high with my stuff, but want to have what I need with me. Also, I am going by myself. I'm a little apprehensive about that, but think from my experience on this Board that it won't be hard to make some friends.
    Lucky you! Not to worry--you'll have a great time! I've been on several quilt retreats and it's usually the silly stuff I forget so, in addition to the extension cord and pillow for your bum, pack some Tylenol, tweezers, bandaids, and dental floss! Oh, and a hand held radio so you can listen to the outside world--one time, we had a wicked thunderstorm and the lights went out! So make a list and check it twice! Then sit back and enjoy your weekend--sew up a storm!

FLQ
    I'm envious. Bonnie is an inspiration. I love her designs, books, sense of humor....I've tried and tried to get to one of her classes but I'm always in the wrong part of the country. I know you'll have a great time and learn a lot. Did you ever notice how her attendees always look like they are at a party when she posts her class photos? I'd wear a favorite color for the photos, lol.

Blog Entries
    Please don't forget CHOCOLATE! The Dove little ones are just a biteful and everone loves them.
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

I'm sure she'll send you a supply list or offer a kit for the project. It's not hard to make friends at a retreat. You'll be sitting next to or across from someone and it's just natural to chat. Also you'll probably have meals together. I've never had a problem feeling included at retreats even when I don't know anybody. Have fun, lucky you!

Blog Entries
    Oh how I envy you! Bonnie is one of my favorite people. How does she do it all????
    TwandasMom

In addition to power cord, foot pedal, all your basic sewing supplies, fabric, thread, machine, etc. take a portable OTT light. All classrooms do not have good light. You also need a small iron and one of those June Tailor press/cut boards. Take bottled water, snacks, maybe paper towels. Clean and oil your machine in advance, test it, and pre-wind bobbins.

Be sure your fabrics are well organized. She will probably want you to pre-cut, and that took me almost 40 hours with a rotary cutter. Then use a plastic case with dividers to keep things straight.

Bonnie is a delight. I took a class from her last year and she is patient and a good teacher. She's very down to earth. I got four or five block done in class, and could select the colors at home I wanted after that. (I recommend extra fabric.) She liked my color choices and held my blocks up for the class to see. I took my Singer 301 and she made it a point to come pet it a few times. LOL

Next time, I would take an extra sandwich and apple for Bonnie, since she probably can't get out at lunch.

And yes, you will get a very detailed list from Bonnie.
    Last edited by cricket_iscute; 05-01-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    Oh how I envy you! Bonnie is one of my favorite people. How does she do it all????
    She says that when her husband wants her to watch TV with him, she has a less-obvious task ready to do at a moment's notice, such as trimming scraps. I think she uses a lot of small pieces of time productively. When she travels, she always has a project with her. She doesn't seem to be stressed out.

Thanks mhollifiel, I am really excited. I look forward to meeting you.