Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt Repair Job - maybe the last one! >

First Quilt Repair Job - maybe the last one!

First Quilt Repair Job - maybe the last one!

Old 06-26-2016, 03:37 PM

Suesew,

Do we get to see a picture of this quilt! I for one would be really interested in seeing the finished article.

hugs

Caroline
Old 06-26-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
not so quick.. I had a neighbor who has since passed away at 93.. In her day she was a beautiful quilter but illness and disease took its toll. she continued quilting although it looked more like a 4 yr old did it.. I would loved and cherished to have a quilt from her even after things beyond her control took over. She made them out of love even when she was ill
I had a friend ask me to quilt a small tumbler quilt that a 90+yr old woman had made for a great-g-child. It was interesting! Some of the stitching of the blocks was coming loose at the corners and someone had tried to solve that with a 2 sided fusible. Once we trimmed and re-stitched I basically did a SID (she had not wanted it otherwise) and got it to her--was to be a wall hanging and worked just fine. Like your neighbor, she had once been a good quilter and was having vision problems and shakey hands, but wanted all her greats to have a "quilt" from her too. She was even making several extra for the kids to give out once she died.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:40 PM

We should not be so quick to judge. Who knows the quilter's situation... The fact that the recipient of the quilt cared for it enough to ask someone to repair it is worthwhile. And both the quilter and recipient were fortunate to have found someone to repair it who took such care!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:25 PM

Perhaps it was a wall hanging or intended to be a "look at only" quilt. The maker might not have intended for it to ever be washed but dry cleaned only when needed.
You my dear are an ANGEL to go to all that work for a co-worker . I do hope you were well compensated for your hard work.