Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fit a 18" throat machine on a SR-2 frame >

Fit a 18" throat machine on a SR-2 frame

Fit a 18" throat machine on a SR-2 frame

Old 01-29-2014, 07:52 AM

Default Fit a 18" throat machine on a SR-2 frame

This might seem like a strange question. But I have a Grace Frame SR2 which I think is just right for me. Currently it is set up for my Juki and that's just fine.

The thing is that I'm thinking that I might, in a year or so, upgrade to an 18" throat machine. The problem is that the frame is not built for anything bigger than a 13" machine... But I'm thinking it might be possible to make the bottom track a bit wider and the carriage track a bit longer? The frame is great in many aspects - and I certainly don't need anything bigger.

If I wanted an 18" long arm I'd have to transport it back to Sweden and the frame is just not possible to bring along. So I'm hoping there is someone out there who has been mad enough to adjust their SR frame in this way.

Crazy?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

I would be cautious. In addition to the extra distance the carriage would have to travel you would have to figure out how to maintain the balance of a machine that large. You wouldn't want it to tip. Also, a long arm weighs A LOT. The entire frame may not be sturdy enough to support it. On the other hand, I would contact the Grace company and see if they have any ideas.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I too was thinking that the Grace frame might not be strong enough for a larger machine. I know for sure it could not handle my Voyager 17, but this particular machine is unusually heavy (about 70 lbs) and requires a very heavy-duty frame (Hinterberg Stretch).

I'm not sure why you couldn't take a frame too. The Hinterberg is wood, but it comes in pieces and the purchaser supplies the rollers from a hardware store. I would think that other frames likewise come in pieces and can be assembled on-site with rods or rollers purchased locally.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:57 PM

I had the exact same problem, I had a machine with a 9" throat on a New Joy frame. Then I inherited an 18" stretched Singer 201. Against my better judgment, my husband tried to put it on the frame. Nope - it tipped over. So I put feelers out and found a gently used Hinty for half price.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I'm not sure why you couldn't take a frame too. The Hinterberg is wood, but it comes in pieces and the purchaser supplies the rollers from a hardware store. I would think that other frames likewise come in pieces and can be assembled on-site with rods or rollers purchased locally.
Sometimes there are import restrictions for wood products. Also, the shipping may be prohibitive for the oversize length?
I am not sure, just making a guess based on previous experiences.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 AM

There's no restrictions on wood products to Sweden - as far as I know. But as you say due to the size it would just make it very difficult and expensive to bring on a plane ride.

Regarding the tipping over problem, that's why I propose expanding both bottom and to rails. It would make the base bigger.

If I look at a Tin Lizzie, it weighs about 40 lbs. It is of course quite a lot but my own "tests" shows that it could be done. I'll check with the grace company but I don't think they will recommend it.

If I can't find a good solution to this I will just have to stay with the setup I have.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:33 AM

Contact Grace Company and ask them if they have anything to adapt your frame to a larger machine. They are really nice at Grace and very helpful.