Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: fix for notch in thread spoot....

  1. #1
    Super Member justwannaquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Union, Missouri
    Posts
    1,569
    I know the other day there was a thread going around here that was talking about thread getting stuck in the notch. I was just searching ALL over the house for my spool cap when suddenly I walked into the laundry room and looked on the little ledge right by the furnace unit (its a collect all for little stuff ya never know what your gonna find there) and there were two rolls of.......PLUMBERS TAPE! I thought to myself...if I can't find that stupid spool cap I will just wrap a couple rounds of plumbers tape around it! I did find the cap however I tried the plumbers tape and it worked way better than any other real tape would have EVER worked. Just make sure you pull it taught when wrapping. Check the local dollar tree type store they normally have it cheap!

    Now if I could just find that quilting foot I would be in BUSINESS!

  2. #2
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    1,ooo miles from home
    Posts
    12,782
    Blog Entries
    2
    hmmmm, thanks. so far i've taken my scissors and run the blade edge over the spool cap area and smoothed it that way. I hate those notches.

  3. #3
    Super Member CoyoteQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,306
    If you have a horizontal spool pin make sure the thread comes off the back and over the top. This put that little notch to the right instead of the left. If it is a vertical pin have the thread come off the right side of the spool, this puts the notch on the bottom. Every spool of thread with a notch is always on the same end. It works every time no matter the manufacturer.

  4. #4
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    4,052
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    If you have a horizontal spool pin make sure the thread comes off the back and over the top. This put that little notch to the right instead of the left. If it is a vertical pin have the thread come off the right side of the spool, this puts the notch on the bottom. Every spool of thread with a notch is always on the same end. It works every time no matter the manufacturer.
    What a simple solution. Now if only I can retrain my lefty brain, because it insists that the thread must come off the left side, which of course puts the notch on the top every time!

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,278
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    hmmmm, thanks. so far i've taken my scissors and run the blade edge over the spool cap area and smoothed it that way. I hate those notches.
    all you have to do is turn the spool over put the notch at the bottom and that plumbers tape it toxic

  6. #6
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,553
    Blog Entries
    3
    I've used a nail file to smooth them down also.

  7. #7
    Super Member BKrenning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I've used a nail file to smooth them down also.
    That's what I've done, too when I get a spool that is notched on both ends or a thread that won't behave when I put the spool on any other way.

  8. #8
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Isn't it amazing what we find that will work as well as all the little gadgets we have bought? I have all kinds of tools out of the kitchen and DH's garage in my sewing room. And I found a bunch of stuff at Harbor Freight tools that work great and cost about 1/4 of what the equal would cost at the LQS.

    It pays to improvise!!! :-)

  9. #9
    Super Member TonnieLoree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Grande, OR
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by carhop
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    hmmmm, thanks. so far i've taken my scissors and run the blade edge over the spool cap area and smoothed it that way. I hate those notches.
    all you have to do is turn the spool over put the notch at the bottom and that plumbers tape it toxic
    Just to add to your post. If you put the notch on the bottom the thread will come off the spool clockwise. Big deal some say? By coming off the spool in that direction, the spinning action of the spool is tightening the spindle. I don't know if anyone has ever been sewing a hundred miles an hour and all of a sudden your spool and spindle become dangerous projectiles. You might wonder what just happened as well as adding a few well rehearsed bad words. As you were sewing, the spinning action of the spool was now unscrewing the spindle. In another post someone had said that all spools are wound that way. I agree. When you are done with that spool, you still have the notch to secure the end into, unless you like that tangled mess that festers when more than one spool is left unharnessed and they decide to have a dance. :lol:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.