Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flannel Material

Blog Entries

Flannel Material

I got 12 yards of flannel for Christmas. Colors are white, lite and medium blue. 4 yards each. I have never worked with flannel before and am wondering who has and what pattern you have used.
    Thanks
    Rita

Blog Entries
    Flannel is great for rag quilts ........
    Lisa

Flannel is nice. I use it alot for quilt backs, but I live in Wisconsin and it gets cold here.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    I use it a lot for quilt backs also. But I think 4 yards may be a little short. You could put a stripe in the middle of one of the other colors if you have to. It would be lovely for a baby quilt (either front or back). If you starch it well you won't have any trouble using it to piece a front. I think the three colors you have would look great pieced together for the front of a quilt.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    i made a pinwheel flannel quilt for my daughter- three colors- White, pink and camo pink ( backing is a pink angel flannel) .. ... and yes I put Warm & natural between it for more warmth.. Its gets chilly here in the winters.. I stitch in the ditch quilted it.. Turned out great
    Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 12-30-2011 at 10:40 AM.

I put flannel on the backs of quilts and sometimes on the front of baby quilts. Flannel likes to stretch and fray a little so keep the pieces larger and the pattern simple (think Warm Wishes, Rail Fence, framed square). Quilt it fairly closely and make the seams a little wider so they don't pull out. I don't like to tie flannel quilts for the same reason. The ties may tear out as the quilt is washed or pulled. I have also mixed flannel and cotton and that will work too.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Lovely, google blue and white quilts, then have fun making a choice. I use flannel all the time and even mix it with the 'normal' quilting cotton, it is all cotton after all.

Medford, Wisconsin, up north in God's country
    I have made baby bibs with batting inside, soft & absorbent not like you buy in the stores. Receiving blankets as baby shower gifts, pajamas, fun pants for my grandkids of all sizes. I have made lrg quilts but washed & shrunk the flannel first. My 1st attempt at it was a pattern called "courthouse steps" & it came out beautiful, living in WI also you need to be cuddly warm. The possibilities are endless.
    Live each day to the fullest as it was your last.
    Grama Chris

Blog Entries
    I made a brick road quilt and a 9-patch out of flannel. They are both much loved and fought over in my family. I definitely pre-shrunk my fabrics, and I prefer not to quilt them heavily, I think they're softer and drape better with minimal quilting. Just my two cents.

Name:  flannel brick road.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  222.6 KB

Name:  9 patch.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  162.1 KB

I love, love, love to sew with flannel! I have blocks cut out right now to do 2 raggy quilts...one in Christmas themed flannels and the other in colors to coordinate with our new sofa. They are at the top of my to-do list!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast