Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Flannel material for sleep pants >

Flannel material for sleep pants

Flannel material for sleep pants

Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 PM

I do understand the fire hazard of non retardent material for children, but I was ironing children patterned flannel for sleep pants for the grandkids and noticed it says "Do not use for children's sleepwear". Now it got me to thinking. Why would you not "sleep" in this material? If I made a shirt to wear outside with this, would it then be safe as the kids were awake and not sleeping in it? :|
Old 12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Cyn

Good question!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Flame retardant sleep wear... according to a government report must only be laundered according to the labels directions for it to remain fire retardant.
It also said this treatment only lasts for so many washings. I believe it was less than 20... The way most people launder their clothes, it only lasts a very short time.... just a FYI

Your best defense is working smoke alarms and safe guarding children from flammables.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I do understand the fire hazard of non retardent material for children, but I was ironing children patterned flannel for sleep pants for the grandkids and noticed it says "Do not use for children's sleepwear". Now it got me to thinking. Why would you not "sleep" in this material? If I made a shirt to wear outside with this, would it then be safe as the kids were awake and not sleeping in it? :|
It is not fire resistent. Now tell me when was the last time you found flannel in the stores that is "Safe for sleepwear". I have not found any. It is the company's way of protecting themselves from being sued if one of your kids gets burned while wearing pj's made from that material.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

it says that because flannel for childrens pj's have to have a chemical added to the fabric making it flame-retardant...it's the (stupid) law. and what is really dumb about it is ... the stuff they have to add washes out and is in-effective after 20 washes or so...i know my kids loved their flannel jammies and wore them lots more than 20 times. so...i use any fabric i want when i make clothes...there are no laws that say you can not make pj's out of anything you want...but you can not sell them if they do not have the flame-retardant fabric.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Just don't let your kids smoke in bed :) ok could not resist this one. I never understood this also.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Wonder where the companys get ther flannel for the pj's that are sold in the stores? Is it safe?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Just don't let your kids smoke in bed :) ok could not resist this one. I never understood this also.
I always tell them not to wave an open candle around while they have the stuff on. Just another way to screw the consumer.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:03 PM

you can buy a prduct that will make you fabric fire resistant so you can redo old or make new
Old 12-07-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by nana katie
Wonder where the companys get ther flannel for the pj's that are sold in the stores? Is it safe?
Another good question. LOL

I didn't know about "20 washes", thanks for that info.