Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fleece and cotton quilting

community benefactor hlponyfarm's Avatar
    being new to quilting I wondered if its alright to do a fleece backing on a regular cotton quilt. I thought this would make a nice snuggly lap quilt.

I would think it would be fine, but it is a little stretchy so you will have to be careful. It may not be as easy to quilt when you have it all put together. I think if you are tying the quilt that would be the easiest. Hopefully someone here has experience with fleece as a backing and can give you some tips on how to make it work.

Good Luck!!

Blog Entries
    Fleece will work for the backing, but if you can afford Minkee it is much softer and will stay soft.

I have used fleece on the back of a quilt with no batting. I spray basted the backing using 505 basting spray. It did not shift around and turned out lovely. Nice light, soft quilt.

I just finished a quilt for GGS and did not have any problems with it streching

community benefactor hlponyfarm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
    being new to quilting I wondered if its alright to do a fleece backing on a regular cotton quilt. I thought this would make a nice snuggly lap quilt.
    On my way to work I was thinking of this post and realized that I had typed Fleece instead of flannel. I had just read something about fleece and I guess it was on my brain when I ment Flannel.

Blog Entries
    On my way to work I was thinking of this post and realized that I had typed Fleece instead of flannel. I had just read something about fleece and I guess it was on my brain when I ment Flannel.
    Flannel is great, but I do prewash unless it is a rag quilt.

Flannel will work wonderfully, I use it often, however you MUST pre-wash flannel, shrinks much more than regular cotton fabric. I have also used fleece and have quilted fleece on my long arm with no problem. I have found fabrics are friendly and get along well with other fabric :)

Flannel is wonderful but you need to prewash the flannel. the best way to avoid the ends being a mass of tangled threads is to put multiple folds in the end and safty pin it, do on both ends, wash and dry. When you take the pins out their maybe some dampness but the shrinking has taken place. I then iron the flannel being careful not to distort fabric, so more of a press. I just made one without any batting for a light weight summer quilt.

Blog Entries
    I have used fleece as a batting with flannel as a backing. It was a Rail Fence. I did DID (had no problem) and the quilt turned out very nice my DGD loves it. Remember to wash both fleece and flannel. Good Luck. BrendaK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast