Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!sewing fleece and cotton and puckering! >

Help!sewing fleece and cotton and puckering!

Help!sewing fleece and cotton and puckering!

Old 08-18-2015, 04:31 AM

Default Help!sewing fleece and cotton and puckering!

I am making fleece and cotton quilts for grands. Have always done fleece to fleece...now with cotton the cotton is puckering....I tried changing stitch length but no avail. I need to better it just don't know how. It is fine on the fleece side but not cotton.I
Old 08-18-2015, 04:41 AM
dd

I used school glue and glued it together before I quilted it. That worked fine. I had the fleece on the bottom.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Are you FMQing or straight stitching? If FMQing the fleece may be stretching causing the puckers. If you are straight stitching, I would use a walking foot and a larger stitch length.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

What stitch length are you using?

Maybe try a longer one than what you usually use?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:21 AM

use your walking foot, works great. I use that or my serger, especially with fleece to fleece
Old 08-18-2015, 10:28 AM

I made some quilts that were cotton tops and fleece as backing. I didn't use batting. I was MQing using a free motion foot. I pin basted as I usually do, putting the pins a little closer together because of the stretch in the fleece. I really didn't have any problems machine quilting except my bobbin case was stuffed with fibers so I had to remember to keep dusting it out. When I finished....yes the cotton was a bit puckered but that's the way I like my quilts. I did have a problem with the feel of the quilts.....they were a bit floppy but my daughter reminded me that some people like their quilts floppy....I like the feel of the cotton on cotton.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Try heavily starching the fleece fabric (if you have not already cut out the pieces). It stiffens the fleece so it will not stretch while you piece. If the puckering is occurring while piecing, I am assuming the fleece is stretching a bit as you sew, then springing back so that the cotton puckers. If you can't starch the fleece, placing it on the bottom while you piece may help, as will using a walking foot.

If the puckering is occurring while quilting, spray starching both top and bottom should help. Basically what you want to do is place the quilt on a large flat sheet, spray the starch on, let dry, then spray again a couple of times each side. Using a fan will speed the drying of the starch in-between layers. This stabilizes the fabrics so they are less likely to stretch and distort while quilting, and the starch will wash out later.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:03 AM

A walking foot should solve that problem.