Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
back puckering-HELP >

back puckering-HELP

back puckering-HELP

Old 09-21-2010, 02:48 AM

the back of a quilt I was quilting had a bit of puckering when I checked the back. This is what I did, sprayed all layers, used a walking foot, sewed straight lines at a diagonal, starting in the middle. I've had problems in the past with the walking foot causing puckering but thought that was because I had flannel on the back. I took out all the lines and spread the quilt out and resprayed the back to the batting.
When I do free motion quilting, I don't have this problem. Any suggestions???? :cry:
Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

along with spreading smooth and spraying sometimes you also have to still baste (either with pins of with thread) at least the edges. if you are using a high loft batting that can cause it, you need to (lighten the pressure) adjust if possible the pressure your walking foot is putting on the quilt. spray basting does not always really hold well, the bigger the project the more it could move or pucker, for me i've only been successful with spray basting table runners/placemats, the quilts i wind up basting anyway so figure i am wasting the spray. some sprays hold better than others too.
you could try a tear away stablizer, that is what is used when you are embroidering to prevent puckering. then you would need to remove it when the quilting is done.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:28 AM

it's a low loft batting so I'll give the basting a try. it's a small lap quilt so that's why I didn't go with basting to start. going to try it again tonight
Thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 04:31 AM
Banned

I've noticed that I sometimes have puckering when I spray baste, even on smaller quilts. It may be that you have to do some pinning also to keep layers from shifting, especially if you are having to manipulate it more than just SITD. I would recommend adding pins to anything larger than a doll quilt or table runner. Just a thought.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 AM

I never use Spray basting. When you quilt something it will lways shift a little and the spray basting it does it almost always. You are better off using pins or basting. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:47 AM

I use spray baste and pins. So far I've not had a problem with shifting or puckers. I always start in the middle and work my way out. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 AM

You are sewing on the bias and it tends to wrinkle more. I have found if I pull a little on the 'sandwich' as it goes under the needle I don't have this problem. When doing meander and stippling or sewing on straight of grain there is no stretching or pushing of fabric. Also, I never baste stitch or spray baste, I always just pin and yes I pin it to death.....
Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Starching the backing fabric prevents puckers. I heavily starch mine using a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo and water. Heavy starching prevents the fabric from stretching or moving around while you quilt.

Since you have already re-layered your quilt, you could spray starch both backing and top several times. Lay a large flat sheet on the floor, spray the sandwich with starch and let dry, spray again and let dry, etc. then turn over and do the same on the other side.

Here's how I starch my backing fabrics. Mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" the mixture onto the fabric using a large wall-painting brush until fabric is saturated, toss in dryer, iron with steam. This is a very fast way of preparing the fabric, which ends up with the stiffness of lightweight cardstock. Don't worry about the stiffness; this is what prevents puckering while you sew.

It also helps to starch the top before layering, but for that you are limited to spray starch.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Try lengthening your stitches, if you keep them as small as when piecing, I have had more problems with the fabric "grabbing" under the walking foot and getting puckers on the back.
You really don't need short stitches for the quilting... Most hand quilters don't stitch as small a stitch as what we use for piecing :wink:
Old 09-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I usually didn't have a problem with spray basting but I did pin my edges.