Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece pieced quilt top? >

Fleece pieced quilt top?

Fleece pieced quilt top?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 AM

Default Fleece pieced quilt top?

My DH wants a "really warm" quilt for our bed. "As warm as you can make it" he said. Heavy isn't an issue either, he likes heavy quilts.

I was thinking...what if I used fleece for both the top and the backing, with ...wool...? as batting? (Or is poly warmer?)

Anybody ever piece a quilt top out of fleece? I am not sure if that's a good idea or not...I know it stretches a bit but if I just did simple 4-patch or even just went big block style, that should work, right? Should I increase the seam allowance? I haven't sewn much with fleece so I don't know how it behaves.

Or....other suggestions? I have a flannel pieced, flannel backed quilt that has W&N cotton batting and that's not warm enough for him, he layers another quilt on top of it. He wants just ONE, very warm quilt on the bed. (I think he might be part lizard....lol)

It's going to be a king size, so I'm hesitant to just experiment. That's a lot of fabric to waste if it goes bad!

Ideas and stories of past experiments welcome!!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Well, poly is warm, but I don't find it comfortable because it doesn't breathe. I would go with natural fibers, flannel top & bottom & wool batt. You can also double batt with cotton on the bottom and wool on the top.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 PM

In 2007 we were without power for 11 days in January due to an ice storm. I have every kind of quilt and blanket known to man here. On the second day, I wrenched my back so bad on the ice that I could barely walk from the living room (with a fireplace) to the bathroom, so spent 10 days on the couch. The very warmest quilt was a double thickness fleece blanket that a friend had given to me. Mine was tied on all four sides. And when it was washed and dried in a dryer, it came out kind of wonky.

Making yours a king size would require seams as I don't think the fleece comes that wide. Don't know what you would use for batting though.

HTH
Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 PM

I would agree with PaperPrincess. Flannel is very warm and two layers (front and back) with 2 layers of batting would be awfully warm. Plus, using flannel on the top would mean some awesome piecing. Just make sure and preshrink your flannel and use big beautiful blocks for the top. Please post when done.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
And when it was washed and dried in a dryer, it came out kind of wonky.

Making yours a king size would require seams as I don't think the fleece comes that wide. Don't know what you would use for batting though.

HTH
Do you know if the fleece blanket you had was pre-washed? I would assume (but I could be wrong) that if I pre-washed I shouldn't have things go wonky...?

I would definitely have to have seams on the back, but that's OK; more than half of my quilt backs are pieced and I've gotten pretty good and making sure seam intersections from the back don't line up with seam intersections on the front. As long as I'm careful with that, I don't have any issues quilting them. (I quilt on a DSM, no long-arm involved.)

Hmm. Maybe I should make a throw-sized version first and see how warm it is, and also how well it survives the wash... Although that makes me think...a king-sized double-fleece quilt is going to probably kill my washing machine if I try washing it at home. And I really HATE laundromats.

Hmph. He might just have to live with two quilts. LOL
Old 03-27-2014, 12:38 PM

Flannel and double-batting might be the better way to go...I'm familiar with flannel...

I didn't even think about breathe-ability. Hmmmm!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 PM

I would think that it doesn't get THAT cold in Sonoma County, to warrant a "really warm" quilt, but if that's what he wants, why not use flannel for the quilt and wool batting instead of fleece? We live where it gets pretty darn cold during winter and I just have a quilt with 80/20 and a blanket and it keeps me plenty warm.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:38 PM

We made a regular cotton quilt for my FIL and backed it with fleece. It has cotton batting. I fell asleep on the couch after quilting and before binding, so my wife laid it over me in the cold of winter. I woke up SWEATING, and the room was probably 62 degrees. I would imagine that quilt is warm enough for anyone. Why not make a sofa quilt first and see if he likes it?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:56 PM

Yes, I am pretty sure that the maker of my fleece blanket DID NOT WASH IT FIRST.

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Do you know if the fleece blanket you had was pre-washed? I would assume (but I could be wrong) that if I pre-washed I shouldn't have things go wonky...?

I would definitely have to have seams on the back, but that's OK; more than half of my quilt backs are pieced and I've gotten pretty good and making sure seam intersections from the back don't line up with seam intersections on the front. As long as I'm careful with that, I don't have any issues quilting them. (I quilt on a DSM, no long-arm involved.)

Hmm. Maybe I should make a throw-sized version first and see how warm it is, and also how well it survives the wash... Although that makes me think...a king-sized double-fleece quilt is going to probably kill my washing machine if I try washing it at home. And I really HATE laundromats.

Hmph. He might just have to live with two quilts. LOL
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 PM

I have made several pieced double sided fleece quilty blankets...and they are HARD to deal with. The fleece is so stretchy you have to be very very careful at every step on the process. Once done i did the "birth" method - didn't want to even attempt binding. They are incredibly warm - and wonderfully soft....but they are A LOT of work !! I have also made fleece blankets - solid cut of fleece on the front and swirled ultra soft fake fur on the back. Also very warm. These have been VERY popular....but there is no piecing.