Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece Quilt Help >

Fleece Quilt Help

Fleece Quilt Help

Old 10-31-2009, 06:39 AM

I used cutting mat, rotary cutter, and slotted ruler.

Also, I finished mine off with monograms.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:29 AM

I have made fleece blankets. I take two pieces. must be the same size. For a baby blanket I generally make it about 36 inches long, for an adult, I make it 60 inches long or longer.
With the two pieces together, in each corner, I cut a 5 inches square and remove the material. From there I cut the strips 1 inches wide x 5 inches long all along each size (as I get to the end I make sure that the strips are about the same size or readjust the strips). I tie the two strips on each side before going onto the next side. I make sure that I pin the entire blanket before I do the cutting so it does not shift.
I hope that this make senses to you.

Barbara
Old 10-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
Guess I'm on the rebel side :wink: . All I do is lay them out, trim to be even, then cut away. I've used the slotted ruler. I've laid my metal ruler to make a straight line, and other things I can't remember.

Fleece is so easy to work with making these blankets. I don't fuss with any real accuracy and it all turns out good for me. I've got like 6 now to make, waiting for me.

However you do it I'm sure you'll have fun and they are so popular. I love when Hancock's has their fleece sales for $3.19-3.99 a yard. Premium fleeces go on sale for 30% off (reg. 12.99) but once a year (should be soon now too) they go for 1/2 price. At least they used to.
Right now I think the sale ends today hancockfabric.com has glacier fleece reg $9.99 for $3.99 I think it is the same in their retail stores as well.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:28 PM

Another variation: Once you get your strips cut for the fringe (I use a slotted template) you can cut a 1/2" slit in one of the strips, then pull the other one through it. It gives a nice contrast color variation.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ganado Granny
Another variation: Once you get your strips cut for the fringe (I use a slotted template) you can cut a 1/2" slit in one of the strips, then pull the other one through it. It gives a nice contrast color variation.
I just picked up one of these that my sister made for my daughter, and I noticed she had used the slits. It looks really nice that way!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 AM

I made a few of these blankets one year for Christmas gifts and my hands were aching from all the cutting. Now i use the spring loaded scissors and is way better. When i make raggy quilts with flannel i use the springy short blade ones for the clipping. makes a world of difference in comfort.