Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece Quilt Help >

Fleece Quilt Help

Fleece Quilt Help

Old 10-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Banned

I have made these before but, of course, I can't remember the exact measurements. This is: 2 fleece material and I believe you cut the 1" x ??? and how many inches apart and then tie eac piece together.
Can someone help me?
Karen
Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 AM

can you post a picture or a drawing?
Rose Hall
Old 10-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

My sister makes those fleece blankets -- two layers, edges cut and then tied together. If I talk to her later today, I will ask her how deep and how far apart she cuts the ties.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:28 AM

Are you talking about the ones that you don't sew at all? You have fleece for the front and back. You cut 1" X 4" or 5" all the way around the blanket. Then you tie them in a knot. Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 AM

If you are talking about the fleece tie blankets try this:
lay the two pieces together on a large flat surface, and remember to check that any writingi s NOT upside down because this is the way they will face, (right sides out) when you finish. Pin these two together.
At this point you may have to even them up a little because whoever cut them is not perfect :-)
Next you decide how long the fringe is going to be, such as 3 or 4 inches long. You then cut a square out of all four corners the same measurement as your fringe will be. Next you cut the fringe, some people may use a ruler and cut either side of the ruler perhaps makingthe firnges (ties) an inch or so wide. After cutting a few, tie the two together then continue cutting all four sides.

You can also just sew them together right sides together and then turn this inside out, I usually top stitch about a half inch from the edge after this. Then, enjoy and stay warm. Oh,yes, if you need a picture perhaps googling no-sew fleece blanket will help. Enjoy!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

I had someone tell me the best way to make them is:
1 yard for baby
1.5 yds for small child
2.5 yds for average adult
3 yds for someone who is tall.
Measure in from the edges 3 or 4 inches. Put masking or painters tape all the way around the fabric. Where the tape crosses at the corners, you cut that away. Clip up to the tape, all the way around. Do this to both pieces of fleece. Then tie the 2 fabrics together with double knots. BOOM. DONE!!!
Hope this helps.
(I use to work at JoAnn Fabric and have cut and sold a lot of fleece, and thyall say this is the best way to cut and tie. Then this way, they are all cut the same length) ????????????
Bev
By the way, I have never made one myself but have had a lot of people tell me the same thing.
Hope it helps.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:47 AM

I've made 5 or 6 of these blankets and they are super simple. I cut about and inch apart and about 5 inches in. I eyeball it. I also lay both pieces of fabric together on the floor and cut them at the same time, that way you are guaranteed the same number of ties.

Oh, the other tip I have is to cut the selvage ends shorter than the other ends. The selvage ends stretch and you will end up with longer ties on those two ends if you don't cut them shorter.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

That is right. One inch apart and about four inches long. Both my DD make these and have a ton of them. Between the fleece blankets and my quilts we will never be cold.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:04 AM

http://collectibles.about.com/od/val...leecethrow.htm

Here are directions...with pictures! HTH.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Guess I'm on the rebel side :wink: . All I do is lay them out, trim to be even, then cut away. I've used the slotted ruler. I've laid my metal ruler to make a straight line, and other things I can't remember.

Fleece is so easy to work with making these blankets. I don't fuss with any real accuracy and it all turns out good for me. I've got like 6 now to make, waiting for me.

However you do it I'm sure you'll have fun and they are so popular. I love when Hancock's has their fleece sales for $3.19-3.99 a yard. Premium fleeces go on sale for 30% off (reg. 12.99) but once a year (should be soon now too) they go for 1/2 price. At least they used to.