Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flying geese? >

Flying geese?

Flying geese?

Old 01-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
If sewing on the bias is a concern to you, then paper piecing your geese, may be the route to go.
No fears with bias ... and perfectly sizes and shaped geese, with ever so nice points on them!
Amen to that! PP Geese look lovely, lie flat, and can be any colors you like. And their points are prettier than wing feathers!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:19 PM
CRO

I have never done PP so have no idea how to do that.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:55 AM

Carol Doak has a book, "Show Me How to Paper Piece", (I'm sure it's still in print) that will take you thru all the steps. Very good instructions.
PP can be confusing at first, but once you learn, it can be easy.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

I would use what Tartan suggested which is what I was taught was called "snowball". I prefer EB two squares that produce 4 flying geese but I don't think that you would get the colors on the same side.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:40 AM

You could get 4 different colors on your flying geese if you used the "No Waste" method, but the colors you want wouldn't be on the correct side.
With Ricky Tim's method, you could put the colors as you want them. This uses a little more fabric, but there is only one seam, and you would get what you want.
Tartan's method wastes a little more fabric, but you will get what you want with that, too. Just make sure to do the sewing just a thread or two closer to the corner. Mine are always too short if I don't do that. And some people trim out only the triangle from the small square and leave the background fabric on.

Good luck.

Last edited by maviskw; 01-06-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:07 AM

Kimberly Enmo has a flying geese ruler which is easy to use and requires no waste or trimming. See her website for a video on how to use it. It is a 2 sided ruler. Cut the triangles on 1 side and the squares on the other side. The only thing that you have to be careful about is that the strips that you use to cut the squares must have right sides together to make mirror image squares. You can purchase the ruler on Amazon. Cuts the time in half and you usually have little or trimming.
Dottie
Old 01-06-2015, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I use the rectangle with 2 squares placed on each corner, sew the diagonal seams and trim off the corners. You can use 2 squares the same colour or 2 different colours.
This is what I would do! Depending on the finished size you may not have to "draw lines".
Old 01-06-2015, 06:17 PM
CRO

You are all amazing. Thank you all for all the methods. I had no idea there was that many methods to make flying geese!