Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Classes on Craftsy-anyone taken any? >

FMQ Classes on Craftsy-anyone taken any?

FMQ Classes on Craftsy-anyone taken any?

Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Default FMQ Classes on Craftsy-anyone taken any?

I was wondering if anyone has taken any of the free motion quilting classes on Craftsy and what you thought of them? Were they helpful, did you learn anything? If you took one and enjoyed it - which one? Yes I am full of questions, I thought since these were on sale I would treat myself and thought I would see if anyone had any experience or suggestions. Thanks for your input
Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 AM

I bought the Leah Day one at 50% off a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to to use it yet. As soon as the holidays are over I've got high hopes. lol.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:22 AM

I got a few of them about a year ago. I think they are worth every penny and learned lots from each one! You can ask for a refund if they're not for you. I do like one teacher better than another but they both did a good job. One of them just put me to sleep! The ones I got showed you how to baste the quilt (one with pins, the other spray basted!) and different techniques for FMQ. The best part is that if you have a question or comment, they will get back with you quickly. I have just, in the past week, started thinking about getting another one, but decided to watch the ones I have again. It made me realize how much I missed the first time I watched them. I've never been to a class IRL, but I appreciate that I can just push the play button and jump back in where I was.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:29 AM

I bought a couple of the Craftsy classes in the last year or so. I really like the one with Wendy Butler Burns. It's nice to be able to go back and watch them again and I can pick which lesson I want to review. The classes showed me different methods to try. Since the classes were 50% off, I think they were worth the money. Some of their classes are on sale now through midnight tonight. Although they seem to go on sale now and again. Here's the link: http://www.craftsy.com/clp/holiday-tier-sale-1999
Old 12-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I recently took Machine Quilting with Templates with Kimmy Brunner. The class is recommended for both longarm and DSM quilting, but its real focus seems to be longarm. I enjoyed the class, learned from it, and will go through it again. I like the fact that you can take the class as many times as you want. That said, I still prefer books to online classes. With a book, I can go back and review just the portions I need, rather than having to search for and then wait for the pertinent part to come up in a video. When there's a class offered, I always look to see if the teacher has written a book on the same subject.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:53 AM

I took Machine Quilting Negative Space and really enjoyed it. She uses a long arm herself, but the techniques are for any machines (I use a standard domestic Singer). Some of what she covered I already knew, but there were a lot of things I never would have thought of.

I think I'm going to go for the hand quilting class next, and maybe one on scrap quilting. I've never really gotten into either so I'd like to work on both this year.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM

I haven't tried any of the machine quilting classes, but I did look through the hand quilting class they have now. It is excellent. I think it helps to see how the stitch is made, more with hand quilting than by machine. I was impressed with the way Craftsy produced the class, that you can go back and watch it as often as you like, and rerun parts.

So now I'm thinking of trying one of the machine quilting classes.

Janet
Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 PM

All - Thanks so much for the responses. I am going over to sign up before I miss the deadline.