Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ on Flannel - any pointers? >

FMQ on Flannel - any pointers?

FMQ on Flannel - any pointers?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Default FMQ on Flannel - any pointers?

I offered to quilt a lap quilt for a church group. I am a novice FMQer and have some questions. Is flannel any harder to do than regular cotton? Is there anything I need to do differently to prepare the sandwich? Any difference in the weight of batting? This is going to a public auction, so I want it to be acceptable+.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 PM

My personal opinion of flannel is I do not like doing any type of quilting on it so I try to not use it but there comes times when you have to and then you must make the best of it. I find flannel stretches lots so I use 505 Spray Basting to hold the backing to my Hobbs 80/20 batting and then I spray the front to the batting. I add some pin basting to keep everything in place and believe me nothing moves. When you are done quilting, you can wash your quilt or hang it on the line to air freshen. The spray bast evaporates when exposed to air.

There will certainly be other solutions given by many experts on this forum. I just know this is one solution that works.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 PM
RST

I do find flannel backings more challenging to FMQ than cotton. I find it helpful to use the teflon "Supreme slider" mat on the bed of the machine to help move the quilt smoothly. I also found myself needing to take more breaks as the quilt can be heavier. If you like gloves, they may help too. Flannel can sometimes be more linty, so clean your machine more often.

It's a good idea to do some practice runs on a sample sandwich of the actual materials you're going to use to make sure that the thread and tensions play nicely together.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:36 PM

I use a large piece of heavy vinyl instead of a Supreme Slider and do use gloves. The cabinet extension, the sewing machine next to it and the ironing board at an angle in my left help with the weight. My machine is vintage and not very fussy. She quilts with whatever I put in her for thread and whatever thickness of fabric. I think my concern is getting any puckers on the back because the flannel just doesn't seem like I can pull it smooth and tape it to a table to sandwich the quilt. Do you starch flannel backing like you do cotton ones?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:26 AM

I have starched flannel for quilting, but I starch the "wrong" side, so the starch is on the inside of the "sandwich". That gives the flannel more body, less puckering, and it lies more smoothly more easily. Plus you don't have to deal with the starch "smoothing down" the nap of the flannel on the outside. I always wash my quilts when finished, so the starch comes out then anyway. No one taught me this. It was just trial and error.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 AM
QM
Power Poster

MacThayer has the right idea. It is also important to get a good quality of flannel, with a durable weave. I use flannel on both frpnt and back from time to time. My preferences, however, are corderoy or brushed denim, both of which give you a soft feel but have more body. Flannel, however is not ideal for FMQ, as it may tear on the stitching lines unless you have a really good quality.

The quilt I currently have on my bed is really good flannel on both sides and has FMQ.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 AM

These replies have been so helpful. I'm working on my first flannel quilt right now and it's definitely a learning experience! I have to pin, pin, pin! And I finally started pressing all the seams open to reduce the bulk. Just ordered flannel for the backing, too so I think I'll try basting spray for the first time as well. Still wondering if one type of batting is better for flannel.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM

I just finished by first flannel quilt and loved working with flannel. The FMQing was a little more difficult because of the extra weight It was more difficult to keep moving through the machine. It also seemed that it wasn't as "cuddly" as the others I have made. Maybe it just needs to be broke in.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:54 AM
QM
Power Poster

Maybe you are right. When I first responded to this, I went back to edit and show a pic of my FMQ flannel (both sides) This was made from exceptionally thick, heavy flannel and is super warm. My DH had the usual sort of "I can't find..." emergency then I could not find your post. Sorry. I am glad your work turned out OK for you.
Attached Thumbnails m-plus-flannel-quilt.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

i make 10-20 flannel quilts a year- and back even more- i love working with flannel!
the only things i would suggest is lengthen your stitch length a little- baste well- use a good quality batting- i use hobbs heirloom 80/20
put in a new sharp needle.
i tend to not understand people's problems with flannels- i've never had one that was (stretchy) or became wonky-
i've added a couple pics of flannel quilts- that i hope shows the quilting
Attached Thumbnails dscn0548.jpg   dscn0545.jpg   april-14_749.jpg