Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Landscape quilts with people in them (any pointers?) >

Landscape quilts with people in them (any pointers?)

Landscape quilts with people in them (any pointers?)

Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 AM

I have a landscape quilt in my head that I want out of there. Does anybody on the board do these things that wouldn't mind to give a little advice and a few pointers on how this is done. I have a book and have gotten a lot of info from it. But, I'd like to hear from someonelse who has been there and done this.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:38 AM

I guess it depends on the content and detail you are wanting. I recently did a quilt with a girl in it and couldn't have managed without Bonnie McCaffrey's book on portraits. As to the landscape part, I researched many methods by various quilters including Nancy Zeiman. I would say to try to sketch out your idea as a starting point and go from there.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I guess it depends on the content and detail you are wanting. I recently did a quilt with a girl in it and couldn't have managed without Bonnie McCaffrey's book on portraits. As to the landscape part, I researched many methods by various quilters including Nancy Zeiman. I would say to try to sketch out your idea as a starting point and go from there.
I have a picture to go by. But, I always change everything I do up a bit for my own twist on things. I'll see if I can find McCafferey's book. thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

there are lots of different landscape quilting techniques--visit "sewing with Nancy" 's web site- she does alot of landscape quilting- has books out, but also has lots of videos and free stuff available.
you have to get your (picture) out of your head and onto paper before anything else- either using pictures or drawing/sketching. use graph paper to get everything to scale so you make the size quilt you want.
decide if you are doing fusable applique or what techniques you are going to use...when you have specific questions we can help.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I have a landscape quilt in my head that I want out of there. Does anybody on the board do these things that wouldn't mind to give a little advice and a few pointers on how this is done. I have a book and have gotten a lot of info from it. But, I'd like to hear from someonelse who has been there and done this.
I'm attaching the picture of the one I want to do. I have a lot of the leaves cut out for the tree and the flowers and I have the casket made with the flag draped over it. What I'm having trouble deciding about is this. I have fabric that looks like green grass. I have enough of it for the whole quilt. But, do I need some sky? And at what point do I start the sky? And doyou use glue or what to hold everything in place until quilting?

The picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197493[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-197487.bmp  
Old 05-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Nancy uses glue sticks to temporarily hold the fabric in place. Washable school glue sticks, just dab, don't rub :wink:
As to the sky, it isn't necessary to add it, but if you want one, audition the size once you get the foreground in place. In this picture? Personally I would leave it out... and leave the focus on the details of the cemetary.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Nancy uses glue sticks to temporarily hold the fabric in place. Washable school glue sticks, just dab, don't rub :wink:
As to the sky, it isn't necessary to add it, but if you want one, audition the size once you get the foreground in place. In this picture? Personally I would leave it out... and leave the focus on the details of the cemetary.
After I looked at it again. I realized there is no sky. that is taken up by the leaves on the trees. So, that probalem is solved. I've just got to deal with the faces now. That 's the main problem.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM

If you can enlarge the photo to the same size as the quilt you're making, you could print the faces onto printable fabric (available at JoAnn's and most quilt shops), cut the faces out and fuse them to the quilt with fusible web. You could also just find flesh-colored fabric and work the details in with fabric pens.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 PM

I'm sure how to do a landscape quilt; but wanted to that will a beauty. Would love to see pictures of the finish project.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 PM

Have never tried this type of quilt but I am in awe of people who do them...please keep us up to date with your progress....