Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ is Not just Meandering >

FMQ is Not just Meandering

FMQ is Not just Meandering

Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Banned

Default FMQ is Not just Meandering

Why is that most believe FMQ is just meandering across the surface of the quilt Back in the 1980's when Harriett Hargrave introduce the concept of machine quilting (one of the first to do so) she used traditional quilting designs to do by machine rather than by hand. Hari Walner was another. A whole series of quilting designs/stencils came on the market referred to as Continuous Line Designs. These designs were created to follow closely those we had used for hand quilting but redesigned to require as few starts and stops as possible - usually with one continuous line.

I am wondering why we have gotten away from using these type designs.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 AM

I think many people do meandering because it is easier. There is less stopping and stopping which leaves fewer threads to be buried. Also, meander lends itself to less marking of the quilt.

I tend to do more "traditional" designs because I make many quilts that are 30 - 40's reproductions. My brain will not let me meander on those. I always end up doing what I think would have been done by hand at the time.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 AM

I don't think most believe that. I see lots of beautiful custom quilting that is free motion and not just meandering. Also, pantographs are quite popular, and that is more than just meandering. I think that would be considered continuous line quilting.

Last edited by DebraK; 10-28-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I don't think most believe that. I see lots of beautiful custom quilting that is free motion and not just meandering. Also pantographs are quite popular, and that is more than just meandering.
I agree, I see beautiful feathers and other types of FMQing all the time. In fact I do some of that myself.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I don't think most believe that. I see lots of beautiful custom quilting that is free motion and not just meandering. Also, pantographs are quite popular, and that is more than just meandering. I think that would be considered continuous line quilting.
I agree too.I heve seen many quilts on here that are wonderfully quilted either custom or great pantos.Some functional quilts not art quilts.They are ok to just stopped or swirl to make the quilt last longer.No shame in simple quilting because not all of us are able to custom art quilt.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 AM

Count me in as another "agree". In my opinion, meandering is just one way of FMQ.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the history lesson Holice ... good to learn more about the transition from hand quilting to machine work.

I know there is a big-wide-wonderful-world of FMQ beyond meandering.
The challenge is learning the how-to's and finding those places to help me gain the knowledge ... and then it;s all about the practice, practice, practice ... to make it part of my comfort zone!

To answer your question .....
Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I am wondering why we have gotten away from using these type designs.

.............. I think it's all about advertising and marketing ... we all need to know more about these methods and I see little about it.

Being part of the QB, we do have an added advantage to those who do not participate. When I see something I think I might be able to do, I keep tabs of it for FMQ reference ideas.

Though even here on the QB, I think we could see more about the "how to's" of FMQing designs. Perhaps those that have the ability would share via some tutorials?

Last edited by QuiltE; 10-28-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 AM

i think we are seeing a lot of meandering for the same reason that simple, modern piecing is so popular right now. it is quick and easy. doesn't mean either of these are wrong, just easier. fmq and intricate piecing are both time and labor intensive. not everyone has that desire to get so involved. sometimes it is just necessary to "get it done".

as the occasion, and skill set, allows we then put in the extra time and work to do more involved patterns.

harriet hargrave spoke at our guild a few months ago and she was blaming marketing for the simple quilting that is becoming the majority. i, personally, think that it is just a sign of the times. we don't always have the time or the inclination to make a masterpiece. sometimes we just need a quilt. ultimately, the same reason our foremothers used to tie, rather than hand quilt.

either way, all good. love all quilts.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by pdcakm View Post

i, personally, think that it is just a sign of the times. we don't always have the time or the inclination to make a masterpiece. sometimes we just need a quilt. ultimately, the same reason our foremothers used to tie, rather than hand quilt.

either way, all good. love all quilts.
good point.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I have ever just meandered on a quilt. I don't care for the look - reminds me of a mattress pad. There are many quilters online showing a great diversity in FMQ designs. And there are major shows that showcase machine quilting. I actually think the trend is away from meandering.