Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ is Not just Meandering >

FMQ is Not just Meandering

FMQ is Not just Meandering

Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 AM

Opinions, everyone has them. Don't let it bother you. Enjoy the simple pleasures ;-)
Old 10-28-2013, 12:01 PM

This past Saturday I had the pleasure to attend a bed turning presentation by Marcia Kaylakie. See http://texasquiltappraiser.com/ for more information about her.

She displayed and commented on quilts from her personal collection. She showed us one from around the turn of the century (not 2000) that had been machine quilted. I don't know how often people machine quilted in those days or how intricately, but it was interesting.

After her presentation we had "quilt roadshow" with Marcia dating, commenting on, and giving her opinion as to the range of prices individual vintage quilts we had brought in would bring in the current market.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I've always believed 'free motion quilting' meant you are not using a computer/stitcher on your machine to stitch out a design - you are maneuvering the machine (or fabric) to create your quilting design- doesn't matter if you are stippling, meandering or following a continuous line design, or pantograph. I have some of those wonderful 'continuous line' design books and use them frequently- they are great. I like them better than pantos (maybe because I've practiced with them more)
Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

I choose how to do the quilting by knowing what the quilt is for. I never do complicated quilting on a baby quilt.

My scrappy quilts don't need beautiful quilting.

I only do special stitching on special quilts.
peace
Old 10-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

I consider FMQ, meandering and stippling - large or small to be all the same. I do that on all my quilts because I love the look and love doing it. I use one of two 9"throat machines. Unlike most people I don't care for the fancy stitches. Just call me Plain Jane Quilter. I don't ever plan to make an heirloom quilt either. I don't care for the art quilts. Just my humble opinion for MY quilts. Others can do what pleases them, after all that is what I do.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I consider FMQ, meandering and stippling - large or small to be all the same.
I don't understand this, can you explain further if I've misunderstood you. Are you saying these words are all interchangeable? If it is all the same, are you saying all FMQing is stippling? All FMQing is meandering? But stippling is a specific design; and meandering is a style of design (one that moves across the quilt as one would meander across the park.)

What if someone does designs like the one I've attached? Both are free motion quilting, neither are stippling. I don't think either is meandering, but perhaps the green design could be considered that- but the acorn, definitely not meandering. I had to break the thread and start a new design in every triangle.
Attached Thumbnails 534032_10103961847288154_604216425_n.jpg   design%252b1.jpg  
Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 PM

What a fascinating discussion! I too am a Harriet Hargrave fan 'tho I'm never likely to have the pleasure of hearing her speak. I am trying really hard to follow her style of FMQ (without much success) but am really interested to see what you all have to say on the subject. So many great comments here and all relevant. Keep up the good work ladies.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM

I like Charlotte Warr Anderson. One Line at a Time. I can and do FMQ, but I prefer to highlight a special fabric piece by NOT quilting it. I'll outline instead or even just tack. The fabric is the whole reason for the quilt, not the stitches.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
It is the discussions like these that takes it all out of me .....
Simple pleasures become never good enough chores !
Ditto. I like to meander and stipple. I do not like patterns. But it's my quilt, my art, my work and my therapy. It works for me.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:29 PM

I'm a beginner at the quilting part and for now use a lot of stippling and meandering in order to learn how to control what I am doing. I love the FMQ that is more involved and technical. Each type has its place. It seems to me that modern quilting focuses more on the quilting than the piecing. Someday I want to be good enough to be able to quilt that well!

Last edited by Nammie to 7; 10-28-2013 at 04:32 PM.