Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ question >

FMQ question

FMQ question

Old 11-09-2016, 03:55 AM

Leave 5 at least inches around the edge of batting and backing to help with the edges. It does get a little tricky around the edges but you can go in any direction. When I first started FMQ, I concentrated on a block at a time starting in the center. I have a tendency to work in quadrants from center to outer corner, when that quad is done, I worked my way back to the center and started on the next quad. However you do it, have fun. There is a rhythm to the sound of the machine and the movement of the hands.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:24 AM

Here is what I do....one had to the left of the needle and one hand to the right of the needle to move the quilt along. When I reach the end side of the quilt and can no longer hold on to the side, then that hand gently reaches through themachine throat space and guilds the quilt along. Make sense?
Old 11-09-2016, 05:22 AM

Taking a couple of FMQ Craftsy classes got me going.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Plus there are so many free You Tube videos. Nobody does it exactly the same, so you will find what works best for you. I'm no expert but I can do a respectable meander on my small mechanical Brother. It takes a lot of moving the quilt, but, I'm not usually in a hurry. Also, practice, practice, practice!!!
Old 11-09-2016, 11:21 AM

Rob has several tutorials on U-tube that are easy to understand. He really is a fantastic teacher. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFbw1LAPZjg
Old 11-09-2016, 01:13 PM

I second the suggestions to start with smaller practice sandwiches, and then work your way up to larger pieces slowly. Just the thought of learning to FMQ with a full size quilt gives me the shivers.

My other suggestion is to practice whatever design you are using by doodling first, over and over, on paper. I had heard this advice repeatedly, but always considered it to be a silly step....until I finally had to do it in a class...and wow! It really helps! Lots!
Old 11-09-2016, 03:21 PM

Not trimming is a good tip. I will use it. I think that edge would give me a better grip.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:45 PM

Before I begin to free motion quilt, I form a pattern in my head and then use paper and pencil to repeatedly draw the pattern. I think it helps to set the pattern in my brain. Then I try it out first on a little quilt sandwich before I quilt it on my quilt.There are many books on free motion quilting as well as online tutorials.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:45 AM

Default FMQ question

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I learned by following Leah Day, leahday.com. She has a wealth of free information, very detailed for a beginner. Lots of youtube videos. She has over time started selling some CDs, etc. but still plenty of free info. She also has classes on Craftsy.
I did not see any free info on her website .
Old 11-10-2016, 06:36 AM

I'm a total FMQ beginner as well, I've done several baby quilts but still practicing and learning. The one bad habit I had to break was rolling my quilt up into a log. It makes it impossible to maneuver the sandwich freely. I'm saving up to take some of Leah Day's classes