Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: FMQ with fleece back? FMQ with flannel back?

FMQ with fleece back? FMQ with flannel back?

Have any of you free motion quilted (fmq) with either fleece or flannel backings on your quilts? Could you post how that went, what you liked, and what you had trouble with? I would probably use polyester thread - or maybe cotton - for the top and bobbin threads. Would you advise this?

I'm actually thinking of making a quilt with a flannel top and a fleece back. It probably would not have batting. Would you think this could be free motion quilted? I've never tried fmq with this combination of fabrics before.

If I did a cotton quilt with fleece back, would you think that could be fmq?

I'm assuming that a cotton top and flannel back could be fmq. Do you agree?

I'm guessing that I could straight-line quilt any of these with a walking foot on a machine that could handle it. Do you agree?

What would be your choices?

Thanks,
    Cricket

Banned
    I've done fmq with all of these and had no problems. I have come to love doing baby quilts with a fleece backing and no batting. I just pin baste, I've also spray basted. You have to be a little careful so the fleece doesn't stretch as you move the quilt around, but it's just a matter of getting a feel for it like any other quilting. It's really not problematic on a small quilt. The cotton top tends to stick to the fleece which helps.

Cari

I just finished FMQ'd a quilt with a flannel back. It went just fine. I didn't notice any difference from a non-flannel back. I used polyester thread. This quilt was for me to keep and I love how soft and cozy it is.

I have done several pieced cotton quilts with flannel backing and Quilter's Dream cotton batting without any problems. I pin baste and use Aurifil cotton thread. Most of my quilts have been for grandkids so like the soft flannel backing. I have also used Minky for backing that has worked well, also. Haven't used fleece so far but I may sometime. I do FMQ, not straight lines and so don't use a walking foot, although my machine has a built in walking foot, but that's not for FMQ.

Last Christmas I made a quilt with a fleece backing for a gift.
    Rather than re-write how it went and my thoughts ... please check this link ....
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t239508.html

I did mention in that thread that I reverse sandwiched the quilt, but did not say why. I was worried about the amount of stretch that might happen, if I put it on the table first, so went at it in reverse. No problems!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Last Christmas I made a quilt with a fleece backing for a gift.
    Rather than re-write how it went and my thoughts ... please check this link ....
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t239508.html

I did mention in that thread that I reverse sandwiched the quilt, but did not say why. I was worried about the amount of stretch that might happen, if I put it on the table first, so went at it in reverse. No problems!
    Oh, thanks for the reminder, I've done that too! In my case I wanted a random quilting design and found that I was starting to follow the design on the front of the quilt, so I ripped it all out and flipped it over. With the back of the quilt facing up I couldn't see the front design so the 'random' quilting was much easier to achieve.

Cari

I have FMQ several times with fleece and I like it. I find that the fleece is a little more "forgiving" for what my skills lack. I have FMQ on flannel twice and had no problems

We have made one with a fleece back and pieced top. Here is ours: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t122470-2.html

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
    I just finished FMQ'd a quilt with a flannel back. It went just fine. I didn't notice any difference from a non-flannel back. I used polyester thread. This quilt was for me to keep and I love how soft and cozy it is.
    I have done fleece, flannel and minky backing without batting, but I always spray baste to hold them firmly together for quilting!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

This Christmas for my family I made 7 quilts using fleece as the backing with no batting -- 6 were 50 by 50 inch carpenter's wheels, using 6 1/2 inch squares -- they were relatively fast and easy and looked good -- I quilted 1/4 inch inside the squares and stars after pinning the fleece and top together -- no problems at all -- I quilted with a 1932 Singer 15-91
    diane

I am following this thread with interest. I have a few questions regarding fleece. Has anyone used a fleece blanket as the backing, rather than buying the yardage? I have a feeling this is a better deal if you find one on sale. Also, do you FMQ with the quilt top up and the fleece down? I am wondering if the fleece "down" creates any issues like lint or getting stuck in the feed dogs. I realize that the feed dogs will be down, but I've gotten myself in all kinds of tangled messes (never quite sure how they happen).

Quote Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
    I am following this thread with interest. I have a few questions regarding fleece. Has anyone used a fleece blanket as the backing, rather than buying the yardage? I have a feeling this is a better deal if you find one on sale. Also, do you FMQ with the quilt top up and the fleece down? I am wondering if the fleece "down" creates any issues like lint or getting stuck in the feed dogs. I realize that the feed dogs will be down, but I've gotten myself in all kinds of tangled messes (never quite sure how they happen).
    There's no reason why you cannot by fleece blankets for your backing. As a word of caution though, I have noticed many of those are a lower grade of fleece, that I probably would not use. It's just a matter of buyer beware ... and choose what is right for you.

I had no more lint problems with the fleece, than with cottons. In my experience, more of the lint problem comes from the batting when I am quilting than from other sources. I just make sure I clean out with every bobbin change. As for catching in the feed dogs, I had no problems in that regard.

If you refer to my link I posted earlier in this thread, I made some comments about quilting with fleece up/down.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I am wandering if I can FMQ a flannel quilt, top and bottom with a poly batting.
    Has anyone tried that?
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.