Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ with fleece back?  FMQ with flannel back? >

FMQ with fleece back? FMQ with flannel back?

FMQ with fleece back? FMQ with flannel back?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:54 AM

I am following this thread with interest. I have a few questions regarding fleece. Has anyone used a fleece blanket as the backing, rather than buying the yardage? I have a feeling this is a better deal if you find one on sale. Also, do you FMQ with the quilt top up and the fleece down? I am wondering if the fleece "down" creates any issues like lint or getting stuck in the feed dogs. I realize that the feed dogs will be down, but I've gotten myself in all kinds of tangled messes (never quite sure how they happen).
Old 12-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
I am following this thread with interest. I have a few questions regarding fleece. Has anyone used a fleece blanket as the backing, rather than buying the yardage? I have a feeling this is a better deal if you find one on sale. Also, do you FMQ with the quilt top up and the fleece down? I am wondering if the fleece "down" creates any issues like lint or getting stuck in the feed dogs. I realize that the feed dogs will be down, but I've gotten myself in all kinds of tangled messes (never quite sure how they happen).
There's no reason why you cannot by fleece blankets for your backing. As a word of caution though, I have noticed many of those are a lower grade of fleece, that I probably would not use. It's just a matter of buyer beware ... and choose what is right for you.

I had no more lint problems with the fleece, than with cottons. In my experience, more of the lint problem comes from the batting when I am quilting than from other sources. I just make sure I clean out with every bobbin change. As for catching in the feed dogs, I had no problems in that regard.

If you refer to my link I posted earlier in this thread, I made some comments about quilting with fleece up/down.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

I am wandering if I can FMQ a flannel quilt, top and bottom with a poly batting.
Has anyone tried that?