Fmq

Old 03-30-2015, 11:52 AM

Default Fmq

I want to do some FMQ on a wall hanging that I just finished. I would like to know how you put a design on the wall hanging or a quilt. The design is in a book that I copied on to copy paper but I don't know what the best technique is to transfer it. Can I use freezer paper or tissue paper. If I use tissue paper how do I keep it on while quilting.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

you could sew the design with your machine with no thread in the needle. then use powder... it will go through the holes onto the wh.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

There is paper out there for doing FMQ. It is sort of lightweight vellum or drafting paper. I just draw the design onto vellum and if multi copies are needed, cut additional square, place them ontop of the that has been drawn then stitch along the lines of the design with the DSM having NO thread but make sure the layers are stapled securely. Then you will have dots to follow.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

If it is a repeated design, you staple several squares of tissue together. Draw or trace the design on the top tissue before stacking them. Lengthen your machine stitches and remove the thread from the needle. Stitch the design with the machine and then carefully remove the staples. Pin the tissue in place and quilt the design following the needle holes. When finished, carefully tear off the tissue.
There are others but this method doesn't involve washing afterwards which would be a benefit for a wall hanging in my opinion.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:51 PM

Instead of pinning the tissue paper onto the quilt, I use a light swipe of an Elmer's School Glue stick in several places on the tissue and lay it down on the quilt top. This way there is less chance of distortion from pinning.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:16 PM

If you don't need to enlarge it, copy what you need for the space, pin the paper on the area and sew over the lines just like paper piecing. I've done that with several designs I didn't feel qualified to do free hand & it came out awesome. One special table runner I traced the pattern on tissue paper so I could get the placement just right, but the tissue sometimes tore apart making it difficult. I recently had a stained glass pattern enlarged at Staple's & am working on ways to make it into a quilt with satin stitch where the leading would be & this is how I plan to do it.