Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • FMQ thread...again >
  • FMQ thread...again

• FMQ thread...again

Old 01-19-2016, 07:28 PM

Default FMQ thread...again

After using the search function and going back through a number of threads about the right kind of thread to use for FMQ, I'm still at a loss.

Most of what is mentioned in those messages, I can't get around here. Our fabric store only has the standard thread displays. Am I really going to have to mail order or is there something I can use from the fabric store that will work?

Thanks, Watson
    Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 PM

100% cotton Guterman 50wt/3ply (sold at JAF) will work. The issue with that is that it sheds like crazy so you need to be constantly cleaning out the thread run & bobbin case/compartment. An 80/12 quilting needle will pair well with it on most machines. Some machines prefer a 90/14 needle with it.

I personally like Aurifil 40wt/2ply (sold at my LQS and also online at http://www.hawthornethreads.com/). I use their 50wt/2ply also when I don't want the quilting to show up quite as much. Aurifil thread is absolutely beautiful thread that comes in over 250 colors. The 2ply means I can use a smaller needle (quilting or microtex 70/10) & it barely sheds at all; plus, it's colorfast with reasonable care. But it definitely isn't a "must have".
    Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 PM

Try what's available and decide which works best for you. I don't know if there's one "right thread" for everyone. A lot depends on personal preferences and availability.
    Old 01-19-2016, 09:47 PM
    Power Poster

The thread your machine likes is the right one for FMQ. Try any good quality 50 wt thread and see how it goes. The only thread I would not use on a bed quilt is rayon because it is weaker and will break if people sit on the bed.
    Old 01-20-2016, 12:49 AM

I have learned almost everything I know about quilting from the internet - the only thing I did get some hands-on instruction (a couple of hours lesson in a LQS) was FMQ. I had seen before that there is special thread for machine quilting but was told that I only need to use special thread for hand quilting. For FMQ I could use any good quality thread. What they had right there for me to buy from them and use was Gutermann, but I have since used just any thread I had at home.
    Old 01-20-2016, 01:50 AM
    Gay

I don't believe there is a 'right kind' of thread for sewing or quilting, unless one is doing a special technique, like hand embroidery. Those who do artistic thread 'painting' use all sorts of thread. Teachers and shops will tell us there is, mainly because that's what they sell. It's the same with artists paints and the like - and they generally cost more as well. My machines use whatever I have at the time, and I have had no problems with any.
    Old 01-20-2016, 04:55 AM
    Power Poster

Nothing wrong with mail order. 99% of my quilting supplies are bought online. My local stores don't carry what I want and I refuse to buy only what the store owners want me to buy. What is more important then what brand of thread you use is matching the needle size to thread size. I use all brands of thread, but my favorite for fmq is Glide.
    Old 01-20-2016, 04:56 AM
    Power Poster

The only one you can't use is Hand Quilting Thread, which has a wax coating and will gum up your machine. Beyond that you can quilt with whatever thread you want.
    Old 01-20-2016, 05:30 AM

you have lots of quilting and sewing supply options in your area. go in to the shops and you will meet enthusiastic sewists who are happy to share their knowledge and experiences.
    i love to use many different threads to quilt. its like having the jumbo box of crayons to play with.
    sulky, yli and guterman are all really nice to use and most quiltshops in my area also carry either aurifil or wonderfil. try them all and pick ones you like to use. (rayon is pretty but not very strong. lots of people love poly and pick your thickness according to what you want it to look like would be the only guidelines you need to consider)
    Old 01-20-2016, 05:34 AM

coffeecozy....perhaps you could PM me the name of the shops in my area besides Fabricland and Len's?

Thanks, Watson