Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ thread...again >

FMQ thread...again

FMQ thread...again

Old 01-20-2016, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I understand the problem with living in Canada. Have you checked out eBay in Canada?? I use Mettler silk-finished thread because that is what the dealer told me when I bought my Bernina. It does NOT like C&C or Gutterman. I have NOT quilted with Aurifil 50 but my Bernina likes the thread which I have been using piecing.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:48 AM

I use Metro brand machine embroidery thread(poly) for all my FMQ, I've never had any problems with breaking, etc. I love it because they have tons of colors and you can't beat their prices and customer service.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:13 AM

I agree with Bre123....I've been using 100% cotton Gutterman 50wt/3ply for years. I have an Innova quilting machine and it works well for me. I use it for piecing on my Brother 1500S. An added plus is you can always use your 50% off coupons if it's not on sale. I always buy one if I can't find anything else!
Old 01-20-2016, 12:02 PM

There are lots you can use. While I've found that SoFine by Superior is the easiest to machine quilt with I have also used other brands for different effects. I've used Superior: So Fine, King Tut, Masterpiece, and others. Mettler: Silky finished cotton and Polyester, Sulky: blendables and metallic (metallic is very difficult) I've even resorted to *gasp* Dual Duty. I have a large bag of Dual Duty thread that I used for general sewing and when I've been in the middle of a wall hanging at night and need a color I'll look in that bag. The biggest factor is what will your machine handle? Some machines are touchy. Fortunately none of mine have been touchy (singer, brother, janome and I'm very good at adjusting tension. It helps to have a thin polyester (SoFine 50 ) in the bobbin. That seems to ease things along. If I were going to order one thread for machine quilting I'd order the SoFine 50. I have a few big spools of Sofine in neutral colors.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...Fc1ffgod2UYIqw

With some of the threads, cotton, dual duty, you need to clean out your bobbin area more frequently. I say try what you have and see if it works.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I know it isn't considered "good" by many, and it turns out to be more expensive, but my machines (mechanical) are not fussy on thread and I mostly use Coats and Clark cotton for FMQ. It is easy to come by. It doesn't appear to be extra linty in my machines. I have used other brands, some by mail order, like Sulky, and that works fine too. Best bet is to try what you can get and see how it goes.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:43 PM

What seems to be the problem with the thread you're using? If it is shredding try a larger eye needle like top stitch. I use nearly any thread for free motion, large cotton spools from Fabric Land even work fine. Some do have more lint. If thread is breaking instead of shredding it may be tension.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:34 AM

Have you considered Connecting Threads? They currently have 3325 yard cones of 100% poly 30% off. That's just $4.19 each. I've been using it for piecing and fmq for about 3 years. I love it. It's strong and quilts up beautifully.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:41 AM

I guess I'm lucky... my Janome isn't too fussy. I took a FMQ with Leah Day last April and she introduced us to Isacord. I can't get it at my LQS so I order it online. I only use it for FMQing but my machine and I love it. I also like Aurafil.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:50 AM

I have used Aurifil, YLI, DMC, So Fine, Gutermann's and Coats and Clark. My machine does not get along with CC at all- I threw that thread away. Gutermann is fine, I just personally prefer the others especially for piecing. I think I have seen posts here on QB where calculations had figured that Aurifil is cheaper by the yard vs Gutermann. What I like/love---Aurifil is thinner, less lint, the bobbin holds more, reducing time filling bobbins, that is a big plus for me. I do agree What ever works best for you and your machine.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:13 AM

Buying thread in a small spool is an expensive item. If you are only quilting for yourself, your are probably spending a little more than the large cones, but if you are doing full size or quilting for other people, you really need to buy the larger cones. On my Gammill, I could use just about anything with it.