View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 12:02 PM
mjpEncinitas

There are lots you can use. While I've found that SoFine by Superior is the easiest to machine quilt with I have also used other brands for different effects. I've used Superior: So Fine, King Tut, Masterpiece, and others. Mettler: Silky finished cotton and Polyester, Sulky: blendables and metallic (metallic is very difficult) I've even resorted to *gasp* Dual Duty. I have a large bag of Dual Duty thread that I used for general sewing and when I've been in the middle of a wall hanging at night and need a color I'll look in that bag. The biggest factor is what will your machine handle? Some machines are touchy. Fortunately none of mine have been touchy (singer, brother, janome and I'm very good at adjusting tension. It helps to have a thin polyester (SoFine 50 ) in the bobbin. That seems to ease things along. If I were going to order one thread for machine quilting I'd order the SoFine 50. I have a few big spools of Sofine in neutral colors.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...Fc1ffgod2UYIqw

With some of the threads, cotton, dual duty, you need to clean out your bobbin area more frequently. I say try what you have and see if it works.