Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: folding fabric

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    parkersburg,wv
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    1

    folding fabric

    I bought the comic book board cover to put my fabric on. How do most people fold there fabric on those boards? Thanks so much for any reply.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ksdot417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    702
    Here's a tutorial on how to fold fabric on comic book boards.


    http://cuttopieces.blogspot.com/2011...-tutorial.html

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
    I bought the comic book board cover to put my fabric on. How do most people fold there fabric on those boards? Thanks so much for any reply.
    It truly depends on where you're going to be storing your fabric. For me, the shelving in my closet is a bit smaller than the height of the comic book boards so I trimmed them to fit my closet and then folded my fabric selvedge to selvedge and then in thirds. I absolutely love having the mini bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Keller, TX
    Posts
    6,582
    I love the bright colors in your stash and how easy it is to see. Gonna have to do this with mine.
    Linda

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    49
    normasews - your fabric stash is gorgeous and so organized!!!

  6. #6
    Super Member kathdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, Missouri
    Posts
    2,315
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by normasews View Post
    It truly depends on where you're going to be storing your fabric. For me, the shelving in my closet is a bit smaller than the height of the comic book boards so I trimmed them to fit my closet and then folded my fabric selvedge to selvedge and then in thirds. I absolutely love having the mini bolts.
    Wow! That looks awesome. I bet it makes looking for that right piece, so much easier.
    Kathleen

    Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Georgia, VT.
    Posts
    224
    Thank you, thank you! I have lots to fold and tidy up, now
    I can do it. What a clever idea.

  8. #8
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    5,552
    I like the idea of the little "bolts" of fabric standing on the shelf like books. When my sewing room "inherited" a cabinet from my old kitchen (got new cabintes!), I folded all of my fabrics around a ruler and made neat stacks. Now everytime I need a fabric I have to pull from the stacks and naturally they don't go back in as nicely as when they were stacked originally. I think I will invest in the comic book cards. Thanks for the nice tute and the nice pictures.
    One step at a time, always forward.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ksdot417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    I like the idea of the little "bolts" of fabric standing on the shelf like books. When my sewing room "inherited" a cabinet from my old kitchen (got new cabintes!), I folded all of my fabrics around a ruler and made neat stacks. Now everytime I need a fabric I have to pull from the stacks and naturally they don't go back in as nicely as when they were stacked originally. I think I will invest in the comic book cards. Thanks for the nice tute and the nice pictures.
    When you need to pull out one of your fabrics just slide a magazine or a piece of cardboard under it, lift up the fabrics above it and it slides right out. You can replace it the same way.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sewze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    666
    Blog Entries
    7
    Ask your fabric supplier (LQS, JoAnn's, Hancock's) for any empty fabric bolts. They are happy to give you whatever they have (they just throw them away anyway). I take all that they offer, but prefer the 'flat' boards and just put the 'thicker' ones in the cardboard recycling. I then cut the flat ones into 7.5 " x 11.5" size and fold the fabric (on a king size bed for large amounts) as the blogspot mentioned above and stacked them vertically. I have folded as much as 8 yds on one board. I love the eye candy that you can achieve and how much more accessible my fabrics are at a glance. Have fun...it's addictive. Jinnie
    Jinnie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.