Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: folding fabric

Blog Entries

folding fabric

I bought the comic book board cover to put my fabric on. How do most people fold there fabric on those boards? Thanks so much for any reply.

Here's a tutorial on how to fold fabric on comic book boards.

http://cuttopieces.blogspot.com/2011...-tutorial.html

Quote Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
    I bought the comic book board cover to put my fabric on. How do most people fold there fabric on those boards? Thanks so much for any reply.
    It truly depends on where you're going to be storing your fabric. For me, the shelving in my closet is a bit smaller than the height of the comic book boards so I trimmed them to fit my closet and then folded my fabric selvedge to selvedge and then in thirds. I absolutely love having the mini bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I love the bright colors in your stash and how easy it is to see. Gonna have to do this with mine.
    Linda

normasews - your fabric stash is gorgeous and so organized!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by normasews View Post
    It truly depends on where you're going to be storing your fabric. For me, the shelving in my closet is a bit smaller than the height of the comic book boards so I trimmed them to fit my closet and then folded my fabric selvedge to selvedge and then in thirds. I absolutely love having the mini bolts.
    Wow! That looks awesome. I bet it makes looking for that right piece, so much easier.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Thank you, thank you! I have lots to fold and tidy up, now
    I can do it. What a clever idea.

I like the idea of the little "bolts" of fabric standing on the shelf like books. When my sewing room "inherited" a cabinet from my old kitchen (got new cabintes!), I folded all of my fabrics around a ruler and made neat stacks. Now everytime I need a fabric I have to pull from the stacks and naturally they don't go back in as nicely as when they were stacked originally. I think I will invest in the comic book cards. Thanks for the nice tute and the nice pictures.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    I like the idea of the little "bolts" of fabric standing on the shelf like books. When my sewing room "inherited" a cabinet from my old kitchen (got new cabintes!), I folded all of my fabrics around a ruler and made neat stacks. Now everytime I need a fabric I have to pull from the stacks and naturally they don't go back in as nicely as when they were stacked originally. I think I will invest in the comic book cards. Thanks for the nice tute and the nice pictures.
    When you need to pull out one of your fabrics just slide a magazine or a piece of cardboard under it, lift up the fabrics above it and it slides right out. You can replace it the same way.

Blog Entries
    Ask your fabric supplier (LQS, JoAnn's, Hancock's) for any empty fabric bolts. They are happy to give you whatever they have (they just throw them away anyway). I take all that they offer, but prefer the 'flat' boards and just put the 'thicker' ones in the cardboard recycling. I then cut the flat ones into 7.5 " x 11.5" size and fold the fabric (on a king size bed for large amounts) as the blogspot mentioned above and stacked them vertically. I have folded as much as 8 yds on one board. I love the eye candy that you can achieve and how much more accessible my fabrics are at a glance. Have fun...it's addictive. Jinnie
    Jinnie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast