Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: folding fabric

Blog Entries

folding fabric

I bought the comic book board cover to put my fabric on. How do most people fold there fabric on those boards? Thanks so much for any reply.

Here's a tutorial on how to fold fabric on comic book boards.

http://cuttopieces.blogspot.com/2011...-tutorial.html

Quote Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
    I bought the comic book board cover to put my fabric on. How do most people fold there fabric on those boards? Thanks so much for any reply.
    It truly depends on where you're going to be storing your fabric. For me, the shelving in my closet is a bit smaller than the height of the comic book boards so I trimmed them to fit my closet and then folded my fabric selvedge to selvedge and then in thirds. I absolutely love having the mini bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love the bright colors in your stash and how easy it is to see. Gonna have to do this with mine.
    Linda

normasews - your fabric stash is gorgeous and so organized!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by normasews View Post
    It truly depends on where you're going to be storing your fabric. For me, the shelving in my closet is a bit smaller than the height of the comic book boards so I trimmed them to fit my closet and then folded my fabric selvedge to selvedge and then in thirds. I absolutely love having the mini bolts.
    Wow! That looks awesome. I bet it makes looking for that right piece, so much easier.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Thank you, thank you! I have lots to fold and tidy up, now
    I can do it. What a clever idea.

I like the idea of the little "bolts" of fabric standing on the shelf like books. When my sewing room "inherited" a cabinet from my old kitchen (got new cabintes!), I folded all of my fabrics around a ruler and made neat stacks. Now everytime I need a fabric I have to pull from the stacks and naturally they don't go back in as nicely as when they were stacked originally. I think I will invest in the comic book cards. Thanks for the nice tute and the nice pictures.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    I like the idea of the little "bolts" of fabric standing on the shelf like books. When my sewing room "inherited" a cabinet from my old kitchen (got new cabintes!), I folded all of my fabrics around a ruler and made neat stacks. Now everytime I need a fabric I have to pull from the stacks and naturally they don't go back in as nicely as when they were stacked originally. I think I will invest in the comic book cards. Thanks for the nice tute and the nice pictures.
    When you need to pull out one of your fabrics just slide a magazine or a piece of cardboard under it, lift up the fabrics above it and it slides right out. You can replace it the same way.

Blog Entries
    Ask your fabric supplier (LQS, JoAnn's, Hancock's) for any empty fabric bolts. They are happy to give you whatever they have (they just throw them away anyway). I take all that they offer, but prefer the 'flat' boards and just put the 'thicker' ones in the cardboard recycling. I then cut the flat ones into 7.5 " x 11.5" size and fold the fabric (on a king size bed for large amounts) as the blogspot mentioned above and stacked them vertically. I have folded as much as 8 yds on one board. I love the eye candy that you can achieve and how much more accessible my fabrics are at a glance. Have fun...it's addictive. Jinnie
    Jinnie

I can't do it, unfortunately.

Yes, it looks lovely....very neat and organized. This is what I'm afraid of....if I actually folded all my fabric up like this it would no longer fit on my shelves and I would have a huge problem to deal with. There is NO MORE buying shelves etc to fit more fabric. I am at my limit of hubby's toleration as well as space in my sewing room. Maybe some day.....if I de-stash enough. Who am I kidding, that will never happen!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rhapsdy View Post
    normasews - your fabric stash is gorgeous and so organized!!!
    ditto...to have a stash like that.

We are moving so I am packing up my stash. Have about 50 medium boxes done. A few more to pack. I will be using the comic boards to put it to on the shelves. I will get a single car garage and the shed behind it. I don't know what it will look like. But it will be nice when it gets done. Beth on Co

Where do yu get the comic book board cover?

I ordered mine from Amazon .com $11. per 100. Came in less than a week.

I noticed your 'bolts' are two deep on your shelves, which is where I will be. May I ask how you determine what goes in back, and do you have trouble finding what is in the back?

I'm really anxious to organize my stash like this but am nervous knowing I'll have to have two deep bolts.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Blog Entries
    I tried the recyled fabric boards, cut in half in recyled kit cabnets. I found that the bolt boards took up two much space. I still had tubs of fabric to toss around. Of course the fabric I wanted was always in the bottom tub to the back of the closet. I had a Handi Quilter frame and so a lot of fab was in tubs under the banquet table the frame sat on and looked very disorganized.
    Then one day my DH told me his next project was to replace the deck just off our Master bedroom. With our creative juices going and six months later I had a 12x14 studio with a private deck. I should tell you that my dh broke his pelvis rideing our 5 yr old gs"s scooter. I didn't know why I was getting all this new and woderful space until My pg dd#3, 2 sons, and sil moved in. 4 months later Princess Selah arrived. We had a wonderful time! DH and I were able to retreat any time we needed.
    DH made two small cabinets with wheels and big easy to get to drawers for my frame to sit on. I've folded my stash and tried to have it stand on edge and but it is always a mess. I am going to try the comic boards. I would like them to be 9 inches wide as is would be easy to est. how much fab I have.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety2 View Post
    Where do yu get the comic book board cover?
    Many order them from Amazon, but if you have a local comic book store, they usually carry the boards. I purchased mine locally for $9.00 per 100 boards.

Quote Originally Posted by flybreit View Post
    I noticed your 'bolts' are two deep on your shelves, which is where I will be. May I ask how you determine what goes in back, and do you have trouble finding what is in the back?

I'm really anxious to organize my stash like this but am nervous knowing I'll have to have two deep bolts.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    I've tried to sort my stash by color, except for one of the shelves, it holds some of my favorite collections.

I truly haven't determined what goes in the back, other than if I have a large quantity of one print I would most likely put that mini bolt in the back. I guess I haven't given it much thought, because it's so easy to move the entire first row out of the way. I place a hand on each end and squeeze it like an accordion and out it goes. If I'm just taking a peek I typically just hold it in my hands. If I find something interesting I want to play with I set the whole first row on my cutting table. It's so very easy to move the rows, because there is consistency with the size of the boards.

You'll certainly look at your stash in a different light. When I had my fabric stacked on top of each other, I had smaller cuts of fabric that would get lost in between some of the larger cuts. I never knew it was there until I moved the top fabric and found the small cut right underneath it.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by normasews; 01-30-2012 at 10:45 PM.

I folded all my stash on comic boards. (Who's bright idea was that!) Since I had everything out I measured the fabric before I put on the board. Now I have a slip of paper that tells me..yardage, width, washed or not. I went through three pkgs of boards(at 100 a pkg) Now if I could onlly find a place for all of the full bolts. Love the look of my neat shelves. Oh and I bought my boards at Hastings book store. Got them for $8.48 about.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

I folded mine with a 6x24" ruler. Large quantities go in the back of 48x72" x 24"deep cabinet and shorter, less quantity goes in the front.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I too like the look of the mini fabric bolts. so I just ordered 300 boards from Amazon.com. I'll get my DGD to help me fold when they come
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

Blog Entries
    Wow, great idea, Great tutorial. Thank you for sharing. It's all so pretty to look at!!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

I'd like to know.....is there a minimum amount that you put on the boards; or is all your fabric, regardless of yardage, on a board?

Quote Originally Posted by normasews View Post
    wow love your colors and it is nice and tidy i could only wish to have my fabric looks so tidy !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast