Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fons & Porter Twilight Modern Star Quilt >

Fons & Porter Twilight Modern Star Quilt

Fons & Porter Twilight Modern Star Quilt

Old 07-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Default Fons & Porter Twilight Modern Star Quilt

Has anyone made this quilt? I usually don't buy quilt kits (why not?! I don't know!!) but this one has the perfect colors to replace the quilt on my bed that has become tattered after 10 years of use. I love the quilt I have and until I saw this I really didn't know what to do. I think I might replace the white in the kit with a beige or off white-- I have three cats and a dog who all love my bed, and white might not be the best idea. I know it's small, but I was thinking of putting a nice cotton blanket under it, and in the winter, we use a beige down comforter (which is really a blanket, but perfect for our temperate season). I think it will be perfect.

Anyway, here's a link: http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...ing_star_quilt

I've only paper pieced little blocks here and there so I'm wondering if anyone has tips.

Thanks!!
Ally
Old 07-06-2014, 02:06 AM

It is very small--more like a twin size. Altho for that price, you could buy two kits and play around with the placement to make it wider and longer. The blocks are 8 inches--not really sure why they would be paper pieced unless it is to keep bias cut fabric from stretching.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:07 AM

Easy Peasy! And I would buy 2 kits at that price so I would be able to make it big enough for my bed. There would also be enough components left over that you could make pillow shams and throw pillows to match!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Have you thought of buying the magazine and doing a test block to see if you like doing the pattern?? That is a lot of white you will be replacing. It also suggest the skill of a intermediate skill quilter. Good Luck !!
Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Looks like the Perriwinkle quilt pattern with a square in the middle of some of the stars. I would certainly paper piece it for less frustration when putting the blocks together. There are a lot of seams to match and keeping the sharp points.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:35 AM

Two kits is a good idea. The only problem is, I'd have to take it to the LQS to borrow their long arm to quilt. That size wouldn't fit on my little frame. But it's a good idea, and that's a workable solution. I found paper piecing fun before, since you can get so exact with it. Still debating switching out the white-- I'll have to see what the investment would be when the kit comes.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:15 AM

The white background fabric will give your quilt more contrast, making the stars "pop." Cream fabric will mute the contrast. As for thinking of cleaning the quilt, the two backgrounds will work out about the same.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Cream and white might wash up close to the same, but speaking from experience, cream shows less dirt in the meantime, so I think your idea is a good one.
This is just a thought Ally: Since you will be replacing all that background fabric and the kit is small for your bed, perhaps you would be better off just buying the digital pattern and choosing your own fabrics. Kona cottons are a good quality solid fabric and you can purchase their color chart and use it as a pallette to chose which colors you like best with the cream:
http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabrics...ton/#colorcard

I love the color card - the fabrics stay in stock for a good long while and you can count on the color being accurate. It's saved me a lot of shekels in the long run.
Attached Thumbnails kona-cotton-solids-color-card.jpg